Bad JAS generations

dpeplinski

Hi.

I have a serious problem with my JAS install where pretty much any application gives a "Please regenerate the form" or "please regenerate a [xxx} datadict item" error dialog.

of course, I've regenerated. Many, many times.

I've also deleted the JAVAXXX sqlpackages on the AS/400; I've cleared the F98999 and F989998 tables, and the relevent F92BLOB tables. I've built a new full package, deployed it, generated, with no change. I've generated on a completely different machine; I've generated on the web server. All of this had absolutely no change on the error messages I'm getting.

I am working with JDE on the issue, and they feel something is corrupted in my Spec directory. This is a head scratcher for me, as the package I'm building from has worked flawlessly on my citrix servers and fat clients for several months now. I've ftp'd them my entire B7 directory from the generation machine, and they're analyzing it.

In the meantime, any thoughts would be appreciated. My JAS server has been offline for 2 weeks now - not as big of a deal as it sounds as our JAS usage is very low, and I can convert these users over to Citrix. Just the same, the credibility of JAS as an enterprise solution is taking a hit.

Did you run R92TAM, move the specs and run R98CRTGL prior to the egen?

Is your generation machine as the same SP level as your Jas server?

Wes

This is a good one, indeed. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The only additional step I would recommend is wiping clean your websphere repository too. I've seen it cause the types of problems you're describing even though everything was regen'd. Hope that helps.

I have relatively little websphere knowledge, how is wiping the repository done?

We're on WAS 3.5 by the way.

Yes, that was a question that JDE had also. I haven't applied any SP updates since I started this position 18 months ago; to the best of my knowledge they're all the same SP.

The steps to clear the Websphere repository depends on what relational
database you are using as your repository. When I was using WebSphere 3.5,
I used to use the InstantDB database. With Websphere 4.0, I now use the IBM
DB2 database since it doesn't work with InstantDB. Let's take this
discussion off-line since it is more instructional at this point. Give me a
call and I'd be glad to discuss it.

Wayne Kaauamo
Commemorative Brands, Inc.
Phone: 512-440-2207
FAX: 512-440-2339
Email: [email protected]

Wayne Kaauamo, Texas, USA
CNC/Network Analyst/SysAdmin
ERP 8.0 SP 22/S1
Enterprise AS/400 V5R2 w/CO
JAS Win2K SP4, Deploy Win2K SP4

The steps to clear the Websphere repository depend on what relational database you are using as your repository. When I was using WebSphere 3.5, I used to use the InstantDB database. With Websphere 4.0, I now use the IBM DB2 database since it doesn't work with InstantDB. Let's take this discussion off-line since it is more instructional at this point. Give me a call and I'd be glad to discuss it.

Thought I'd post a resolution to this issue for those who responded to my request for help. It's actually a frustrating resolution, as the problem is solved and I'm not sure what fixed it.

Went to a user to convert them to citrix, when I got there they said "never mind, I got the report off the web". Of course, my jaw dropped, and I said "excuse me?". I then sat down and reviewed the web applications, with no errors anywhere.

Near as I can figure, I created a full package with some payroll changes two weeks ago, and generated specs with this package. At the time I thought I bounced services on the web server and then tested unsuccessfully. My theory is that I forgot to bounce services, and a weekend restart of the webserver cleared the cache.

So a full package build & generation after a ESU install MAY have solved the problem.

Back