Installing too many Update Package

gautam

Hi All,
We have around 40 Update packages for one of Env. For new work station I have to install these all 40 Updates apart from Full package. We are avoiding to build new full package. In such a case is there any short cut way to avoid 40 time installation for these Update.
I mean it will work if I copy env. directory from Deployment server to new workstation.

Thanks in Advance.
Leo

You can recompress the full package -- there's a document on the KG
explaining how
to do this in detail, but the basic idea is that at a time when no one will
be installing
the full package, you run P9622, Package Build History, on the Deployment
Server in
the DEP7333 environment. Search for the full package, and then in the left
pane
of the window, unfold under the package name, where you'll find the date of
the build.
Unfold that to find CLIENT and the names of any servers you built the
package for.
Unfold CLIENT and highlight Compression Options, then click on the Reset
Status
row exit. Set both Spec Build Status and Pack Build Status to 01 and click
Reset.
Check that all the items under Compression Options (BIN32, INCLUDE, etc) now
say "Not Built"
(you'll have to re-find on the screen). Then, highlight the date the
package was built
(NOT the name of the package) and click the Resubmit Build row exit. You'll
be asked
if you want to generate NER -- click Cancel. Then just click OK on the
Report Destination
screen, of course, and the UBEs will run again, only processing the parts
that are
marked as Not Built, which in this case is just the compression. What this
does is recreate
the CAB files in the package directory, which are what is used for the
installation.
The actual directories (lib32, spec, etc) under the package directory are
updated
when you create an update package, but the compressed CAB files are not
rebuilt.
By doing this recompression process, you rebuild those files so that new
installations
of the full package include all the changes from the update packages.

--Scotti Whitmire
DeRoyal Industries
Xe, U6, SP22_E1, AIX 4.3.3, Oracle 8.1.7

Leo,

Wow, there's no reason to deploy that many packages. I assume you're using compression on your parent package? If so, just follow the directions in the document I've attached. It'll show you how to recompress your parent packages and then just deploy the full package, rather than that one plus all of the updates.

Attachments

• 71230-recompress.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 114
Hi Ralph,

Thanks a lot for your suggetion. But we had JITI Disable for our Citrix and in such case I think is required to install all packagees.

Waitng for your further suggetions.

You can rerun the R92tam and R98CRTGL to update tam and DD.

Thank you,
Colin Galdo
CNC Administrator
Hanson Building Materials America, Inc.
Voice - (919) 380-2581
Mobile - (919) 795-0295
Fax - (919) 380-2578
[email protected]=20

Guatam,

Recompress the parent package, build global tables and data dctionary files, then install the recompressed full package along with your six generated files to servers without JITI.

I think this should work...

Ryan

I would very strongly recommend that you build a full package ASAP. IF by
chance that package builds correctly then deploy it out and delete the update
packages you have out there. You are setting yourself up for problems. JDE
recommended that you build a full package after 4-5 update packages.
Barb Kramarski
SR CNC Technical Analyst

Guatum,

Recompress the parent package. Document ID OTM-01-0029 on the KG. Be sure to unselect "Build Specifications Options", "Generate NER" and "Build Business Functions". Then generate glbl table and dd specs on a workstation. Install the recompressed package and copy the generated specs to each Terminal Server.

Re: RE: Installing too many Update Package

An alternative to recompressing is to simply not compress the parent package in the first place. This will increase your package deployment times, however if you are on a 1 Gbit infrastructure they will probably be acceptable. When you build your next full package simply turn compression off in the package build options. The result is no CAB files. Client installs will be done directly from the package spec directory. Update packages will update this spec directory and any new client install will get the latest specs.

This is not the way to go in every situation but I have been very happy with it at many of my sites.

Regards,

Leo,

Here's a thought. Just build and deploy a full package. That beats the heck out of the aforementioned workarounds.

Look for my post out there referring to a batch process that installs multiple update packages :

http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=46549

In effect, although everyone talks about recompressing the full package - this isn't realistic EVERY time you run an update package - and who has a couple of hours to spare when you REALLY need to get the latest package out there ?

Providing you name your update packages the way I suggest (parent is named PD7333FA00 and all updates are PD7333FA01 to PD7333FA99) - then you can use the batch process to perform a silent install for each of the packages.

Of course, this doesn't help with installing to the Enterprise Server !!!!

40 updates though is a little overkill - even if the pathcode has massive development - I strongly suggest that once you fix this, you run a full package build to clean up your environment...

Back