has any one installed ERP8.0 or Erp8.9 on SAN

jaisejames

Well Known Member
I am planning to upgrade my XE to either erp8.0 or erp8.9 on a SAN evnrionment.. Would like to if any one has done this and has faced any issues and what the steps would you recommend in doing so.. I have done Install of Erp8.0 and erp8.9 but not a an upgrade

Yes. Installing on a server connected to SAN is no different than installing on a server with its own storage.

Your primary concerns will be with performance. In this area SAN's can outperform or if misconfigured underform traditional drive arrays.

1. Don't share spindles between production database volumes and volumes on other servers. The capability of sharing spindles is a major selling point of a SAN but can produce unaccpetable performance. Sharing spindles probably is not much of a problem with lightly used file systems such as the deployment server or logic server volumes, but do not share spindles with Production databases.

2. Massive write caches can cut transaction processing times dramatically. This is biggest advantage of SAN in my opion. The larger the cache the better.

I totally agree with Jeremy. As you know, the upgrade process with the specification merge processes are extremely database write-intensive, and this will usually take longer if you haven't configured your SAN with enough write-cache.

SAN's work really well during the normal type of OneWorld transaction - ie, reading more than writing to the database. In fact there is usually a 10:1 or even higher read to write ratio - which works extremely well with SAN's and RAID 5 devices - but large updates like the upgrade will take considerably longer. Just so you are aware of that, and make sure you have enough time assigned to those tasks.

By the way Jaise - what database type are you planning on using with your SAN ? That would certainly make a difference...

We have PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.0 on a SAN. In additon to comments already made there can be considerations which need to be addressed in relation to how the cache for the SAN is configured, also AFAICR your O.S. can be tweaked/ configured for optimal use by SAN. Our SAN has 6 SCSI buses with 14 disk on each bus. If you're really keen to optimize perofrmance you will also need to consoder potential contention for disks on same SCSI buses.

HTH.

Jaise,

I agree with Jeremy's post. Installing to a SAN is no different than installing to a server with it's own attached storage. We're on our second SAN and it performs well. Just make sure that the infrastructure guys partition the SAN intelligently to give JDE/PeolpleSoft enough horsepower. One of the cool benefits of a SAN is it's ability to grow diskspace. Our Cluster/SAN is also highly fault-tolerant. The two sides of the cluster are a mile apart in two different datacenters. We also have two SANs, one in each datacenter. The data is replicated in real-time across the SANs. Short of a nuke dropping on Danbury Ct (where our data centers are), we're well covered for fault tolerance and disaster recovery.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

Back