Websphere queen

eyeseries

I've been told there is a "websphere queen" monitoring these forums that may help clear some confusion I have on OneWorld XE.
IBM refers to the configuration where Web HTTP server, JAS & Websphere server and database server run on a single iSeries machine as "All-In-One" configuration. With this configuration in mind, let me ask some question:

1) Which layer/job (QHTTP*,QEJB*,QZDA*) does the OneWorld XE user authority/security verification? There is probably more than one check: one for OneWorld security/authority and one to sign in to iSeries, right?
2) Does JAS/Websphere do any connection pooling and if so, does that minimize the number of database server jobs? Can multiple users be using a single database server job (i.e. QZDASOINIT) with this configuration?

TIA

I am not the WebSphere Queen though JD thinks so. We are actually a team of CNC folks. I checked with our experts and this is what they have to say.
1) QZDs for the F98OWSEC, F0092, and environments, Kernels to get to security server, and there are JDE servlets involved as well (I see something called SecurityBroker in the logs). If you run under one database id and turn on WAS connection pooling, you can significantly reduce the number of QZDASOINITs. We don't so though we may reduce the number per user compared to terminal server user or thick client, but overall there are still many server jobs, and will remain so - Rule of Thumb - 4 servers per user. So if you run database id (ie JDE) and WAS connection pooling, you may run a couple hundred servers (or more depending on load). If you run as we do, you are still stuck with thousands.

2) JAS does do connection pooling. Since we use individual DB IDs, it's a bit different. Otherwise, if you were to just use the JDE ID on the back end, there would be 1 pool for non-DNT data connections, one for DNT. I think you can see all of this from HTML SAW, JDBC pool. Don't know about the WAS threads. JDE does have threads in the WAS layer, but again, I don't think these actually service multiple connections at the same time. As for part b of the question (does it reduce the number....) I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Sue.

Xe, SP22Q1, V5R2

Back