B7.3.2 Upgrade

an0nemus

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to OneWorld, and I was tasked with upgrading from B.7.3.2 (base) to Xe. We set up a temporary sandbox environment.

Then I ran through the instructions and setting up the temporary environment for the PD7333 and it failed. Creating the empty table UBE just wouldn't run and PS support was useless in getting it resolved. Long story shor t is that the UBE just WOULDN'T run. We flew a consultant in and he had to work around it inside of the software.

We also had issues where they were trying to do a SELECT INTO with a long data type in Oracle which isn't possible. The upgrade was relatively painless (except that the developer has to go through 2900 pages of spec merge information).

Next week we'll put on the Xe Update 8, though their 'special instructions' are wrong and they're correcting them over the weekend.

It seems you don't listen to advice given to you 3-4 months ago. Your previous post regarding your B732 upgrade pointed to the fact that you should hire someone to perform the upgrade for you. Nevertheless, you went through and attempted the upgrade yourself, ending in serious issues it sounds like. Now you have a JDE consultant onsite trying to figure out what you did - as well as 2900 objects that failed to merge correctly.

Wow. Glad you're doing this on the sandbox. You have a plan on how you're going to transition it back to Production ?

By the way - why go to Xe ? Its already out of date ! Xe support is being dropped in Feb 2005. Why didn't you evaluate ERP 8.9 or if that was too large a jump ERP 8.0 ?

The suggestion was to go to JDE training. You would have learnt about LONG RAW datatypes there.

Hope your company is patient with regards to their upgrade....

I listened to the advice that was offered 3-4 months ago. However, my boss and the project manager wouldn't. As being a tech worker I have no budget for resources OR for training. I asked for training but I was told it was a 'waste of time'.

The developer was making changes to the base modules, which caused the 'fall out'. As far as 'figuring out' what I did, it was that their UBE didn't run, and he had to create tables and OCM mappings inside of the software.

Why go to Xe? The bean counters have decided that Xe is 'good enough' even after warnings that if they go to 8.0 (+) they'll have to do ALL of this again.

Their main focus is getting to a supported version of Oracle not a supported version of One World.

Look at the bright side: an upgrade from Xe to ERP8 will be much easier then what you are doing now!

Gerd

Too true. ALso, part of the reasoning is that we use a specialized webclient (not based on websphere) and there is fear that upgrading to ERP8.0 will negatively impact that server.

Unfortunately One World isn't my only responsibility at work. Meaning that once the upgrade is done I doubt I'll look at this system for quite sometime.

Unfortunately, this will probably not be the last time you "look at the system" because you'll be using unsupported software - Xe. Bummer.

Though our sales rep has sold the business quite a few promises on what will/won't be supported, I'm assuming that at any rate.

1) While there won't be any fixed 'issues' they'll still give us front line support.

2) Front line support will be extended for a few years.

I've found their frontline support to be somewhat lacking, though in the past I was using B732 so that doesn't really surprise me.

I've told my boss and the project manager that until I receive training I will NOT be making any changes/adjustments to the software.....

...Of course, when push comes to shove...**SIGH**

Back