coexistence - anyone inquire lately

fortylove

Hello List, I know there has been a lot of discussion around this a while back but am just wondering what (if anything) you are hearing lately about;

1) when will support for version "xe" end?
2) when will support for coexistence end?
3) My understanding is that World will be supported indefinitely but as a "standalone" product, is this correct?

We are an coexistence shop with xe, sp21, xu7 and seem to get a different answer from almost everyone we ask?

Would really appreciate hearing back from anyone who has some "good information".

Thanks in advance,

Michael

From what I understand

1. Support for "Xe" will end in Febuary 2005
2. Support for co-existence will end on the same date I would guess, since support for co-existence finished with Xe (not supported in ERP 8.0 and on). Co-existence is a horrible methodology to migrate through - there are many companies who would have rather not implemented co-existence but instead done a complete migration. It looked good in the marketing brochures - but since Xe, it was always a bad idea....

3. What "support" really means is that updates will no longer be developed. This does NOT mean that JDE will suddenly not take your support calls (provided you've got a maintenance contract) - of course it MIGHT mean that the answer "its been fixed in ERP 8.9" may very well be more common after 2/05 ! This is the same type of support that World has had for some time. World users will always be able to get "support" and downloads etc - but what new functionality is being introduced to A7.3 ?

So do you need to upgrade before Feb 2005 ? Not necessarily. If your product works for your company, and you do not make major business changes that require enhanced functionality from the product - then the version of OneWorld you're running will work indefinately. The same goes with prior versions - there are indeed many companies still on "unsupported" versions of OneWorld who are quite happy - and will likely upgrade only when forced to.

ERP 8.9 and 8.10 certainly offer new functionality, both from a technical and an application standpoint - but if you don't need them, best not to break something that doesn't need fixing !

Back