Doubt about Update Package

gnbora

Hi list,

I have a doubt about the installation process of update package on the Enterprise Server. When I make a Update Package, I always do the deployment process of the package on the Enterpise Server and Work Stations, but someone told me that is not good to install Updates Packages on the Enterprise Server, only Full Packages. Is it true??

Regards
GNB
[crazy]

Not true. There is no such general rule. Update packages for servers are just as valid as they are for workstations.
In fact, prior to B7331 there were no full server packages at all. You only had the initial installation and update packages (arrgh).

Gerd

Oi Gnbora,

Here is an alternative to Gerd's post. I use this procedure because I have an enterprise server and three logic servers. After I build the update package, I create a folder on my enterprise server, example PY7333.new

I copy over the BIN and SPEC folder from the parent package. If you look at the dates on the objects, you will notice that the updated objects have new dates associated with them. I then copy the PY7333.new folder from my enterprise server to my three logic servers.

The next day, before my users start to log in, I stopped services on all of my enterprise servers. I rename PY7333 to PY7333.old. I rename PY7333.new to PY7333. I restart services and send a note to my developers that a new package was deployed. (I have a similiar process for updating my terminal servers).

Tchau,

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

Back