Upgrade from Xe to ???

Rob

Client wants to migrate from early Xe release to ???. There are about 20 custom objects and 12 interfaces to other software products.
Related to this upgrade is a 'model' built in the new release that will be rolled out to 5 additional site over the next 24 months. The 2 sites that are live with current Xe version will be brought along in the future (not upgraded prior to the rollout).
Any suggestions about which release (8.0 or 8.9)?

Many thanx ...
Rob
Xe
Unix
Oracle

Upgrading to 8.0 I think only buys you another year of support. Also, 8.0 is just another Xe with a few more enhancements for Property Management. If I were to start an upgrade today, it would take a few months to implement, so I would go for the one that would last the longest. However, 8.9 doesn't sound all that stable from the JDEList messages we're seeing, so it's a hard call. the good news is that there are more and more messages about 8.9 which means more customers have been implementing this version so the bugs should be worked out of it soon. I have not worked with 8.9 yet, so I don't have a feel for it's stability today. Service pack 3 should be out this quarter (8.93) and Service pack 4 (8.94) should be out in the 3rd quarter of this year. However, each of these service packs are bringing out new functionality, so it's hard to tell where the product will start being stable. I wrote an article for www.jdetips.com last year that addresses the different versions and service packs. You might want to go to that website and ask for a copy of the article.

Thanks Jean... I have retrieved the articles. Very helpful--thanks!!
Rob

Re: RE: Upgrade from Xe to ???

Go to 8.9. By the time you go live most of the "kinks" will be worked out. Also, I'm doing an 8.9 implementation as we speak and I see nothing major that should keep you from moving to this release. Plus, if you have five other sites to roll out in 24 months than it stands to reason that 8.9 would be pretty darn stable two years from now ;)

Back