particular role exclusively?

JD Edwards ERP 8.0 Service pack 21, Update1

Windows 2000

SQL Server 2000

Marshall Baird

Systems Support Technician

Weaver Leather, INC.

Marshall,

I noticed the same behavior. This seems to be one of the nasty gotchas with Solution Explorer management. Lucky me, we have over 200 different security groups and growing.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

I haven't found a way around it. Just have enough levels in the tree. If a role cannot see the level they cannot see the new report.

Gregg,
I suppose I can't complain too much with about 25 security groups. I was hoping for a silver bullet, but I suppose reassurance that there is no other way will do.
Thanks.

Marshall,

I'm still doing the conversion process of going from the "Whiffle Ball" interface (OneWorld Interface) to the Lightbulb (Solution Explorer). We have over 200 custom main menus that were created in the OW interface. We are using very few JDE menus.

I broke our End-user tree into five countries. For the US, which has the most menus, I broke that down into functional areas; Finance, AP, OTC, Requisitioning, Subsidiaries, etc. In each sub-group, I have only 10 or so main menus. My fine-cut process will lop off 98% of the menu tree for each set of users. Down the road as I make additions in a functional area like Finance, I will only have to tweak the nine other Finance taskviews.

The next challenge for me is to setup the taskviews down in Dev and then migrate them up to PY and above without breaking anything. The one comment I can make about this is that managing Solution Explorer for a large company requires a whole lot more planning than it took to manage the OW interface.

Good luck!

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

When a new item shows up on all menus or is available to all, it is because the new item has not been disabled for all. I've attached our procedure for creating Solution Explorer roles. Starting on page 7 is where you may have gone wrong. I hope this helps.

Dan,
I think you're exactly right, that is the step I was missing. I really appreciate the help and the documentation, that will be a real time saver in the future.
Marshall

Dan,

I just took a look at your attachment. Nice work. Thanks for sharing that. You filled in a puzzle piece that I missed and was not documented by the folks out of Denver. Hey, maybe you should go to work for JDE, teach them a thing or three.

Thanks for your attachment.

question on page 5 and page 6 please:
Can I add a menu (G46) and all its children at once instead of adding objects one by one?

thanks in advance.

Eugene

I believe there is a conversion program to take OneWorld menus and convert them to Solution Explorer roles. I think it is R9000C and you will only want to run it once. After you run that, you can go find the task number for that menu. Other than that, you will need to create each object one at a time.

This is the default behavior of the application. After SP22 the default pemissions for roles and tasks is to *not* grant access to a new task and for a new role to *not* have access to all tasks.

Going to SP22 is easier than what you are currently doing to remove access to new tasks.

We are currently on SP22 and the new task is still available to all after creating. It seems as though either they really didn't fix it, or something in our environment isn't correct. Or, was it part of a certain one-off?

Thanks for the info...

Dan,

I have plenty of experience running R9000C. Yes, you are correct, it is the UBE to convert OneWorld menus into Solution Explorer tasks. Here are a few things to know about that UBE.

1) Make a custom version of it. Change the data selection to the name of the environment that you want to convert. Out of the box it comes defaulted to some crazy custom environment. I set mine to convert DV7333.

2) Set the report to clear the existing OneWorld Taskview, this will bring things over cleanly.

3) Check both the JDE and the custom menus that come over to make sure that they came over cleanly. Look for menus that came over as shortcuts rather than as menus. You will have to go back in and clean those up. That happens when there is a difference between the actual name of the menu (a menu that has only items on it, not any additional sub menus), and what you named it in a higher level menu. For example:

We have a menu named "Job Cost USA" that has ten ubes in it.
The developer that built the Finacial menus referenced this menu in the OneWorld interface, but called it "Job Cost". R9000C brought that item across as a shortcut rather than a menu. If you change the higher level menu to call "Job Cost USA" or change the child menu to "Job Cost", then you will see a menu rather than a shortcut.

4) You can run R9000C multiple times as you go through the conversion process, just don't put any items in the OneWorld taskview that are not copied over to the End-User task view.

5) After you have the OneWorld taskview clean, copy the information over to the End-User Taskview. Use the End-User taskview as the view to build your roles.

6) Do this down in DV7333. When you are done creating menus and role-based taskviews, copy that information up to the other environments. I use the copy all, clear to datasource option to bring everything up, including the role-based taskviews. The only down side to that is that it blows away the favorites taskview. You could copy the tables up using SQL to avoid that hassel.

7) One last thing to my rambeling post, you will need to populate the roles UDC prior to building your role-based taskviews. This UDC table then has to be replicated to your other environments. See a different thread for gotchas on promoting UDC tables.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair Inc.
175 East Park Drive, Tonawanda, NY 14150

Dan,
I am playing with role based tasks and task views a little and found another gotcha.
When I secure tasks from all but some roles it works fine. If after that I add another role it will be permitted for all existing tasks. It´s kind of the other way around of what has been discussed so far.
Is this covered in your documentation as well? If so, I didn´t see it.
And thanks for your document, Dan.

Gerd

Back