MDAC Level W2K3 SQL2K

bradbeckett

I'm trying to figure out what level of MDAC to use and honestly I'm confused.

ERP 8, SP22

I'm currently running Windows 2k sp3, Sql SP2, Mdac 2.6SP2
I am going to upgrade to Windows 2K3, Sql SP3a. and MDAC???

The MDAC MTR page has these notes:
Note: SQL Server 2000 SP3a is supported and requires MDAC 2.71a
Note: SQL Server 2000 SP3a is supported with Windows 2003 which ships with MDAC 2.8
Note: PeopleSoft suggests that all MDAC levels be the same across all client workstations and servers.

I guess I'm confused in the fact that Peoplesoft suggests all the same MDAC levels for all clients. My W2K3 servers are going to be at MDAC 2.8, but SQL2K SP3A states 2.71a is required. Can I go ahead and run MDAC 2.8 on all the clients including my Windows XP Fat clients? I know it's generally not a good idea on JDE to run any new versions than the MTR suggests, which is why I hesitate with MDAC 2.8.

I know I can call Edwards and get this figured out, but I don’t feel like spending 3/4s of the day on the phone, anyone been down this road already?

Thanks
Brad

I too would be interested in other's interpretation of the MTRs. (We are looking to perform a similar upgrade to bradbeckett)

The MDAC MTR page has these notes:
Note: SQL Server 2000 SP3a is supported and requires MDAC 2.71a
Note: SQL Server 2000 SP3a is supported with Windows 2003 which ships with MDAC 2.8
Note: PeopleSoft suggests that all MDAC levels be the same across all client workstations and servers.

Do I take it that we can deploy MDAC 2.8 on Windows 2000 SP4 (server and clients) provided we are on Xe SP22 + and SQL 2000 SP3a ?

OR

Is it such that we ignore the third NOTE in the MTRs and put MDAC 2.71a on the Windows 2000 clients and upgrade the server to Windows 2003, which has MDAC 2.8 installed ?

To partially answer my own post...

I have the following response from a PS support case i raised :
For Enterprise server Windows 2003 with client workstation at Windows 2000, use MDAC 2.8 in all server and workstations.
For Enterprise server Windows 2000 with client client workstation at Windows 2000, use MDAC 2.71a in all server and workstations.

Do you know if MDAC 2.8 is supported by PSFT on Windows 2000 Server?

Back