Data Dictionary Changes Not Deploying

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
I am simply making some changes to Column Descriptions in Data Dictionary and the changes are not being shown. I have deleted the 6 spec files on my workstation in all pathcodes. When I go into P92001 the changes for the alias I want are correct, but when I go into the application, it still shows the old description. What I am missing?

Did you delete the 6 files in the IFS (WRKLNK on the AS400) under the pathcode of the enviroment that doesn't show the change?

Just a guess, but maybe there are some hard coded UDC's for the application in question? We've seen this before, thinking we had changed the DD as requested and then discovering the users screen still displayed the old values. I don't think it would be a server spec file issue as you are seeing the wrong values in a client app, correct? If you are running UBE's on the server and the output is not what you expected, then I would say it might be the server spec's.

Charles

Hi Steven,
DD and UO are a little tricky to say the least and have lots of "opportunities" for JDE/PS to improve them.

For DD not working
1) Check the field in the APP hasnt got the text override checked
2) Remove any VO's the field may have
3) If you have used a jargon override - in which case upto SP19 these dont exectly work as the aught and you will need to (after the above) check out the object to the fat client then check back in - dont ask why no idea but this works!

4) Delete the usual DD files....... already noted by a previous poster.

I hope this helps

Peter

Yes, I did delete the spec files on the Enterprise server as well, after I stopped services, then restarted. It recreated the files but the names are still not showing up correctly. It is simply a column heading name change.

I've found that the name changes won't show up even if you delete the spec
files
until you package the object that is using the data item.

--Scotti Whitmire
DeRoyal Industries
Xe U6, SP22_E1, AIX 4.3.3, Oracle 8.1.7.3

Contrary to their own advice, JDE's developers frequently hard-code column names in applications (we've seen this frequently on grids). In those cases, DD changes and Vocabulary Overrides won't work.

I had this happen to me once. I did everything all the other postees have
suggested Finally in frustration I built a full package . That seemed to do the
trick. Why I have no Idea

Possibly I have a similar problem in that some forms don't reflect that the column/row description changes (Vocab Overrides) in the data dictionary. I added one particular application object into my project, in OMW, and then went into Forms Design & had a look one of its forms that had this issue. The property of some of the field labels (I think these might be row header??) and the "Override Text" check-box is ticked. Doing a right mouse click & selecting "What's this?" it indicates that if this is checked then the description on the form overrides the changes in the data dictionary.
Could this also be your problem? Seems kinda stupid to me if this is what the problem actually is as I think we then need to do customisation for those forms that come like this.

You mention deleting the DD files. Did you recreate the DD and the copy the new DDDICT, DDTEXT files to the appropriate pathcode?

This was it. There was a text override on the form itself. Once I unchecked this box, built and deployed the object, the change is present. Definitely something to remember in the future. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back