MTR's for Upgrade to 8.9

SULLY1

VIP Member
MTR\'s for Upgrade to 8.9

I think alot us on this list are in the process of planning our upgrade to 8.9 and there will be many questions. This board was a tremendous resource for my last upgrade.

Here is the first of many questions to come.

One of the MTR's is to be on Oracle 9i and HP11i. Our current XE environment does not meet these requirments.

We have our production and test pathcode/environment on two separate HP9000's. The shared data sources(system/object libriaran/ data dictionary) are on the production box.

We plan to upgrade our test box with HP11i and create the new instance for 8.9 in Oracle 9i.

My questiion is since the upgrade process uses the previous environment to get much of the conversion data...does the previous environment database need to be on Oracle 9i. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Patty

Re: MTR\'s for Upgrade to 8.9

You should first upgrade your database to a supported version and then you can upgrade to 8.9.

It sounds like you have a separate db for dev as you are using shared data sources between the environments. If you don't have one, and your dev enterprise server can't handle it's own db, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to install a separate instance of 9.2 on the same server as your current 8i database. That is, so long as your hardware can handle it.

Our environment is split in to two installations. Technically three, if you count the "isolated" installation we did for a special project. DV, JD and PY are in one installation, some custom environments and PD in another. We have separate database/enterprise servers for each installation, and PROD has it's own everything with the exception of some shared data sources. In a nutshell, we accomplished our upgrade in DEV by upgrading our development Oracle database to 9.2 - then installing 8.9 on the Deployment server and upgrading the lower environments.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Charles

Thanks for the response. I'm still a little confused. Does the oracle instance (SID) for XE have to be upgraded to Oracle 9.2. Is it a requirment?

Patty

According to JDE - yes, 9.2 is a requirement. However, there are many upgrades that have gone ahead WITHOUT the upgrade to Oracle first and then updated oracle later on. I have never seen issues if this is a path that you choose.

However, to be "more inline" with JDE standards - I recommend you update your current installation of OneWorld to a service pack that supports the latest version of Oracle - then upgrade Oracle - then upgrade OneWorld.

Oracle is such a stable database platform - and OCI works so well with so few database command types - its hard to see how OneWorld would have an issue...!

I agree that it is technically possible to upgrade to 8.9 without upgrading the database, and I'm sure it's been done. Unfortunately, you won't be received with open arms if you run into problems and you tend to rely on JDE/PSFT for critical upgrade support. We upgraded straight to 9.2.0.4, even though it is technically one revision above MTR "supported" status. I'd rather be on that side of the fence than running older software that doesn't make use of newer SQL functionality. I don't know how much of the newer features are used by the table conversion process, but you never can tell what they have up their sleeves. Actually, you'll be lucky if all of the table conversions work the first time around - regardless of what database you are running.

If you have a crack CNC consultant helping you out who has also performed plenty of upgrades, and you are a glutton for punishment, go right ahead. You most certainly can keep your existing 8i instance in tact. Another path you might take is to export/import the data into a new 9.2 database on the same host. If you need to run a parallel architecture for whatever reason, that is one way you could go about your business. You could even use snapshot on the deployment server to support the two installations. It wouldn't be a "clean" upgrade, but it's certainly workable. We plan on going the "snapshot route" when we upgrade our testing environment before production.

Charles

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to test against the old database just to see how far one might get.

EnterpriseOne 8.9 will barf if you attempt to start up a client or server connection against an Oracle 8i database. The OCI driver will immediately check for Unicode compatibility and fail if it does not detect it.

Back