8.9 MSDE databases on deployment server

dannyparker

Hi, currently working with 8.9 on windows 2003 server and have some questions about the MSDE databases on the deployment server (I'm talking about the planner that used to be in MS access database format). I was wonder how I should approach them from an database admin view point - index rebuilds, backups, integrity checks and the like? Peoplesoft documentaion on this is non existant (well I haven't found any). Also a JDE database user account exists with the password jde and it is dbowner of all databases including master. nice security hole. is it possible to change this password, has anyone tried?
What are others out there doing?
cheers

Danny,

I approach the MSDE as a SQL server. It is essentially the same technology with some size limitations and performance throttling. I use a number of products in addition to JDE that use the MSDE. Some have had the forsight to include maintenance procedures within them so that I don't have to worry about it.

If you want to manipulate the MSDE graphically you will need a copy of the SQL Server Enterprise Manager. This only comes with SQL Server. There are also some third party tools such as http://www.valesoftware.com/products-msde-manager.php I have used that in the past when the client had no licensed copy of SQL server. However you can achieve all the maintenance using SQL-DMO and Windows scripting if you are programming minded.

Regarding security, I admit I have not changed it on the deployment server but if you examine the copy of MSDE instance on Standalone is hard coded to use 'sa' without a password. I have added a new system user using P980001 which I then apply to the DEMO user in standlone. This has secured my copy of standalone. You should be able to apply the same process to the MSDE on the deployment server.

Regards,

You can treat the MSDE as ordinary MS SQL Server. Use for operation with it MS SQL Server Enterprise Manager and other client tools on any machine in your LAN. The server name will be <Deployment machine name>\JDELOCAL

Back