Replication and Failover

Martin

I am attempting to perform replication to a remote site with Xe Update 3 SP21 using MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.

At the local site there is going to be a publisher (current database) that is clustered with our application server. In addition, the local site will have a separate distributor server.

In the remote site another MS cluster will exist with our subscriber. I am comfortable with the process involved in a failover to the remote site, however I need clarification as to how we return from the failover site to our local servers.

For example, we wish to run the business off the remote site and have the remote site update the local site. When all the transactions have been updated to the local site, we will switch to the local site as the publisher.

What needs to occur with MS SQL Server? Do we have to change the subscriber to a publisher? Do we need to point the remote subscriber to the distributor server? Is the distributor server involved? Do we require a distributor server at the remote site?

Next question, do we use file replication on the application server or do have any alternatives? For example, if we use file replication and we build a new full package, it might take hours to update the remote site.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Back