Pointer error on AS400, E8.9

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi List,
we are implementing E8.9, SP2 on AS400. Occasionally we get this error in the 400 log:
Pointer not set for location referenced.
The UBE errors out after that without updating the job´s status in F986110. To the user it appears, that the jobs remains in ´P´ status forever.
We get this error in R09801, R1201Z1I and others.

Has anybody else seen this? Any cure?

Thanks , Gerd

Hi Gerd,

We have the same problem ; we see the pointer errors for several data upload UBEs, particularly for R4101Z1I. The same UBEs run fine with the same data when run locally on a client, and there seems to be no pattern to the failures. In fact, a couple of weeks ago the UBEs completed successfully a number of times, but now they're failing again. We've tried all the usual things like deleting SQL packages, but without success.

We've got a call open with PeopleSoft development and also with IBM. We've already tried a number of additional PTFs, but no use.

BTW - We're running EO8.9SP2_G1 with OS/400 V5R2 and are up-to-date with the latest IBM APAR and PeopleSoft MTRs.

Rgds,

Lee,
I guess the good news is that I´m not the only one with this problem. Could you send your call number in Denver to [email protected] so I can mention it in my case? That might help them taking this more seriously.
Our system is V5R2M0 with E9, SP2_E1, new installation with all MTSs met.
We found that the errors occur 30-50% of the runs of R09801 (and at times with other UBEs) and mostly with two users. We then found a wrong mail preference setting in the address book register for these two users. However, it´s not conclusive yet. If there is any news on this I´ll keep you posted.

Thanks a lot, Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I work with Lee and I'm interested to know about the mail preference setting? What did the users have set and what is the recommended setting for your test?

I'm particulary intersted because we have seen exactly the same problem with the R09801. The issue was ongoing and suddenly went away. We tried many different PTFs/deleting SQL packages etc etc. None of these made any difference.

I'll send you our call number so you can mention this - it may be worth you sending us yours too - our call has been open for around a month now.

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

Sanjeev,

the users had a WEB Client as a Shortcut Client type in the Workflow box on the Additional Tab of P01012 (AB).
We left that BLANK instead and so far it looks good, much better at least.
Send me a personal message and I´ll return the information about our call.

Thanks, Gerd

Lee, Sanjeev,
I found SARs 6690727 and 6936364 that seem to address the problem. PF767 supposedly fixes it. It has to do with the Workflow Shortcut Client Type.

Check it out and let me know. I myself will fix the AB entry for the users.

Gerd

All,
We have been struggling with this issue for the last 3 weeks.
If anyone has got around this issue, please let us know.
The issue is very identical, the jobs show 'P', on the 400 they seem to have completed processing.
We opened a call and have got no response yet. This happens very randomly and is true for vanilla as well as custom UBE's. The job log shows that it is not able to find the F986110. Digging deeper shows that it also encounters a heap storage error and the signal handler terminates.
My gut feeling is that there is a memory leak in the kernel process, some of the UBE's process and eventually the kernel dies out, but does not catch the exception.

-Please feel to drop me a line, if anyone wants to discuss this in detail.

Thanks!!!.

As I mentioned before, to us it looks like as if it has to do with the workflow e-mail preference setting on the additional tab on P01012.
After we cleared out (set to BLANK) all ABAB3 and ABSCCLTP values in F0101 we had no more occurences of this problem.

Check if the users with this problem have a setting different form BLANK in either of these columns.

While Denver is analysing our logs ....

Cheers, Gerd

The user for which this happens does not have the e-mail preference setting.
We have been trying to replicate this issue..however we havent been able to replicate it yet.
The occurences are random.
Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks.

AS400Guru,
your right. After we did what I described above we had very positive results. Now, after 3 days, we had another occurence of the same problem, and the user´s AB records were ok.
I guess the probem is not completely solved yet. However, we have way fewer incidents now.
Thanks, Gerd

We found and applied PF767, addressing SARS
6690727, PPAT causing more memory violation,
6840916, Work Center Messages,
6936264, Workflow Shortcut Workcenter .

Still too early to say if the problem is fully resolved.
I´ll send news if any come up.
Gerd

Back