Database corruption after OneWorld upgrade to 8.9

HampMcCool

We have a customer experiencing severe database corruption (SQL 2000) after an upgrade from ERP 8 to 8.9. (Intel and Windows 2000 servers.)

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

I haven't read the docs, yet - but I believe there are some steps to convert to unicode?

If that is true (it's been alluded to on the list) - and it wasn't completed, I can only guess where the corruption is starting....

Daniel

Did this happen to be on Dell servers ? We did an upgrade on ours to 5.0 (I think) and experienced significant data base corruption. Had to go back to a previous Dell version.

Please provide more info - Was it an OS upgrade, Memory, Drive(s)???

Otherwise, the response doesn't make a great deal of sense (and I'd like to make more sense of it)... knowing is half the battle!

db

Sorry for the initial short response. I'm not a hugely tech kind of guy so ask more questions if needed.....

Dell has a couple of problems with it's RAID bios. Bios version 5.39 works for the most part but the the raid may be striping the info incorrectly with SQL databases.

So.........you may have to reload entire system if a disk fails since raid may not be really working as one would think (and expect).

The upgrade is to a bios 5.42. This fixes the striping problem so that the raid is working correctly but it corrupts SQL tables as the days go along.

We went back (painfully) to 5.39 and used the repair table "with possible data loss" (forgot the terminology).

I think we are okay but of course it affected A LOT of the biggest tables in JDE so it was a weekend of fixing.

Good Luck !

Do you happen to know the model of RAID controller on your Dell? What type of RAID were you using (RAID 1, 5, 0+1, etc.)?

RAID controller at our place is the PERC 4/Di. Others affected(that Dell has acknowledged) are 4/DC, 4/SC, 4/QC, 3/DC, 3/DCL, 3/SC and CERT ATA100/4CH. I am not sure if there are more.
We run RAID 5.

I guess the key question for those of us with Dell hardware is what is your server and raid controller models?

Since we also have Dell RAID controllers, and ours is a PERC 4/DC, we are indeed interested in what you've run across.

However, as best we can tell, our controller version is 3.28. We don't have any versions around 5.39 or 5.42 -- where are these versions coming from? How old is your controller you had problems with?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what you've run into vs. what we currently have.

Thank you.

Here is our Dell Hardware configuration (both enterprise and deployment):

PowerEdge 2600 2.4GHz/512K Xeon (460-5824)
2nd Processor 2.4GHz/512K XeonPowerEdge 2600 (460-6494)
PERC4/Di 128MB (2 Internal Channels) - Embedded Raid (460-5760)
2 X 36GB,U320,SCSI,10K w/Cage Tower (340-7320) using RAID 1
4 x 73GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive (340-6864) using RAID 5

I'm not onsite at the moment and am trying to track down the Raid Bios version.

The OneWorld software was upgraded from ERP 8.0 to ERP 8.9 SP2_D1 with PF727 and PD211.
Win2K Server is at SP3 and SQL2K is at SP3 (8.00.761)

I did NOT do the optional unicode conversion of the business data and control tables.

I assumed from the first that the issues were related to the 8.9 upgrade process, but after everyone's barrage of remarks, we're looking into the Dell angle.

Thanks for everyone's help - keep the comments coming.

Back