Upgrading WebSPhere 3.5 to 4.0

JDEENT

Hi List,

Anyone out there upgraded their JAS on WebSphere 3.5 to 4.0. SInce JDE has stopped supporting 3.5 I wanted to upgrade my WAS to 4.0. Any specific JDE documents or procedures available for the same.?

Thanks in advance

Don't upgrade. Uninstall WAS 3.5 and install v4 or v5 fresh. It's much cleaner and it doesn't really take that much longer to do. Also, form what I hear, upgrading from 3.5 to 4.0 isn't recommended by JDE/PeopleSoft.

Get the following docs:

WebSphere Admin Guide for 3.5 and 4.0 from JDE
The relevant install documents for the current SP level you are at for JAS.
The Web Server Installation Guide from JDE.
The WebSphere Problem Determination Guide from IBM.

Between those 4 documents, you should be able to do the install.

I forgot to mention a few things. You will want to make sure that you are running at least SP21 in that environment prior to using WAS 4.0 or higher. Also, if you go to WAS 4.0, try to get fix pak 5 instead of the latest. It seems to be more stable than the rest. If you plan to install the Collaborative Portal and/or enable security for the admin console, you will need to load a fix from IBM, its PQ77261.

Good luck!

Also: in addition to Fix Pack 5, download from IBM and install the cumulative efixes for the plugin.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Yes in the Sp22 JAS install there is a section for migrating from WAS 3.0 to 4.0 PeopleSoft recommends that you uninstall 3.5 and the install 4.0. So I guess I shall follow that.

Thanks for the info

Rgds

WebSphere 4.0 vs. 5.0

We're currently coming up on SP-22_O1 One-Off and are about to implement JDE Web (JAS) Server. We're also on Update 5. If you were starting from scratch, would you go with IBM WAS 4.0 or 5.0 and why?

Re: WebSphere 4.0 vs. 5.0

WAS 5.0 is not supported on Xe and ERP 8.0.

WebSphere 5.0 is supported only from EnterpriseOne 8.9 onwards. So you really dont have a choice but to go with WAS 4.0.

According to PeopleSoft they will be supporting v5 with XE as of SP23 which is due out in April of this year. Hope that helps.
Teri

Hey thanks for all that info - Guess we go up to SP-23 and, in the meantime, bone up on WAS 5.0. We won't really need it until April-May, my guess and the next Webserver Admin Class is in early April in Denver.

Back