HTTP or IIS on JAS?

shurtle

[smile]We are getting ready to upgrade from Xe SP20 to B9. Our JAS servers are now W2K, IIs and Websphere 3.5 SP5. We are going to rebuild these servers when we upgrade to B9. We will be installing Websphere 5.0. We are trying to decide whether to go with IBM HTTP server instead of IIs. We have no inhouse expertise in HTTP server while we do fro IIs, but have heard that there is compression that you can utilize to get improved performance. Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of IIS versus IBM HTTP server on a JAS server???

Sandra,

You should use IBM HTTP server. I'm not sure if they are even supporting IIS on the current releases. As of right now, JDE/PeopleSoft are still using Websphere 4.0. Our strategy was to purchase 5.0 but install 4.0. I spoke with a guy from GSS, there is no big reason why they couldn't support WS5.0 other than the fact that the SP22J service pack's install wizard is designed for WS4.0. We have added our name to the list of customers that would like them to move forward to WS5.0 (especially since IBM just came out with WS6.0). As for compression, we purchased a cool little gadget called Boostedge. It is a little network appliance that sits inbetween the web server and the network and compresses all of the HTML by around 30%.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator and JDE web guru.

You should certainly use HTTP as opposed to IIS.

HTTP server is really a re-badged version of Apache - which is the best webserver out there. There are a LOT of plugins available to Apache users similar to what you mentioned.

Any New News on WAS 5.0 and JDE? We're about to go forward with WAS and JAS. We already are 10 days out from implementing SP-22_O1. I'd like to start with WAS 5.0 and HTTP on Wintel Proliant Dual 1.5 to 2.0+ Ghz CPUs with 4GB RAM.

To the best of my knowledge, PeopleSoft is not yet supporting websphere 5.0 for XE web servers. I would also look at a different one-off than O. See the many previous posts on that. I would suggest Q or R for your one-off.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

Back