WTS versus Web opinion

cdunn

Good day folks!

My company is currently running EnterpriseOne coexistent with World. We are HQ'ed in Houston and considering EnterpriseOne for our Middle Eastern division. We are a thin client shop using Citrix Metaframe XP. We do not have a com link with our ME office in Dubai. They would connect via VPN or WWW.

Based on your collective experience, would you recommend that we look into using HTML clients instead of WTS? Why?

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate your help.

You question lacks significant details about how the system will be used.

* Web performance directly correlates to the latency of the WAN connections. Terminal Server/Citrix does a much better job of masking latency.
* Bandwidth requirements are much higher for web than for terminal server. However, you can add compression hardware and/or wait for WebSphere 5.0 support which includes compression.
* Heads-down data entry is significantly slower on the web than in Terminal Server/Citrix. However web is adequate for most casual users.
* Web requires significantly less hardware and software than terminal server. This means that the cost of web is much less expensive upfront.
* For all practical purposes, the web interface is the future for Peoplesoft.

I hope this helps.

Cris,

I agree with Jeremy, the web client is the future of the product, even before JDE merged with PeopleSoft. Post-merger, that trend will just grow. I would think that the web client would be less susceptible to latency problems than Citrix because the web is asynchronous in nature.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

Back