SP 22/ Oracle 9i Upgrade Roadmap

indianyogi

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade to Service Pack 22(ofcourse with the motherload of SAR's!!) and to Oracle 9i. I was trying to build a roadmap, of the best way this should be done.

Would like to leverage from your experiences/counsel.

Warm Regards
Yogi

We're planning on this upgrade with some additional bits, with new machines in a separate 'lab' area to be swapped over to become live when complete. The reason we're doing it this way is because we have a large amount of in-house development!

We're currently working on a plan to complete this in a 4 month window.

Our basic steps, broadly explained, are:

- Clone DB to the lab database machine.

- Upgrade the database & O/S = Oracle 8.1.7.4 to Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on AIX 4.3.3 then upgrading AIX 4.3.3 to 5.2 and reinstalling Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 - just the way Oracle needs to do it!

- Freeze live development.

- Clone the live Deployment server to the lab Deployment machine.

- Upgrade JDE = XE update 1 to XE update 7 & SP22 (inc. planner baseline ESU ) on lab Deployment server, for real as this will become our live server at the end.

- Apply any table/index changes to DB on the lab database server.

- Upgrade JDE in-house development - lots of testing & retrofiting.

- Freeze live business use.

- Clone DB to lab database machine again for real, with the latest data, redo Oracle upgrade, reapply any table/index changes from JDE upgrade or developer retrofit.

- Upgrade all appication servers, citrix servers, thick client PC's with Oracle client software.

- Package build & deploy upgraded & retrofit JDE code.

- Go Live!

Makes it sound all so easy ehh!

Back