Automating package deployment to Enterprise Server?

msuters

msuters

Hello all,

Can anyone advise a method of deploying a package to the enterprise
server? I know how to use a command line to deploy a package to the
client, but not for the server. I deploy a package to the server through
the Package Deployment program running on the Deployment Server, and
have to physically click the Deploy button to achieve this. For the
Production system this means I do it early in the morning, to avoid
interrupting users, overnight schedules and backups. I certainly would
appreciate being able to schedule this task to happen without my
personal intervention.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Suters
EnterpriseOne (ERP8), Update 1, SP22, Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000,
Citrix MetaFrame XP SP3
#####################################################################################
Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any
hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not
the intended recipient. Stockland and any of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
views of any such entity.

Thank You.
#####################################################################################

Mark,

I have done this a few times. What I have done is wrap the package deployment UBE in another UBE. The wrapper UBE uses a processing option to specify Package Name and Path Code. I can then create a version for a particular package and then use that version to deploy the package. Please remember that this UBE must be run locally. I use the ubeprint comnand to spawn a UBE from a windows script file e.g. (ubeprint BCH R014021 XJDE0001 1)

This approach has worked well with a couple of my clients. I have gone so far as to do the same with the package build UBE's. I can then call all of this from a windows script. I call the build, when the build is done I check the build logs and then if I find no errors I automate the deployment. (Please no flames. I am sure we could talk for days about the merits and demerits of such an automated solution. But given the right configuration and some clever scripting it works well.) Please feel free to email directly if you have questions.

Regards,

A simple VBS script can open JDE, navigate to the deployment program, find/select the package, and start the deploy. you can schedule the VBS script via the windows scheduler. WE've done similar things for other processes in JDE.

The other thing to try is if you have more than one logic server, you would deploy the package to the Ent. Server, then schedule a script to shut down services on the second logic server, make a backup copy of PD7333, copy the PD7333 dir from the Ent Server to the second logic server. Then bring services back up.

There are obviously other considerations that we've looked at when writing the scripts that aren't listed here, but if done right, they are very reliable and secure.

Back