Moving Enterprise/Data Server, new name

timallen

timallen

Well Known Member
We are moving our Enterprise/Data server from one NT machine to another. I've seen several previous posts about this, but none that combined exactly what I'm doing.

The server name will change (let's say OLD_SERVER -> NEW_SERVER). Here is how we have thought to do it: (This is OneWorld Xe, no service packs or updates (it's a long story), Oracle 8.1.7 database)

1) Create an identical database on the new server: Copy the Oracle DBF files from OLD_SERVER to NEW_SERVER, create a new database with the same name as the old database, and direct it to use the copied DBF files.
2) Change data sources to point at NEW_SERVER. Turn off the OLD_SERVER to make sure we aren't accidentally using it.
3) Shake a chicken.
4) Create an installation plan (Add Server) with the parameters of the NEW_SERVER. Run it.
5) Install the Enterprise Server software on NEW_SERVER from the CD.
6) Test by running some UBEs on NEW_SERVER
7) Deinstall server software and drop JDE tablespaces on OLD_SERVER.
8) Test again.
9) Do victory dance.

Does this look correct? Is there a good KG document on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I have found a few documents that are related to changing out or swapping servers, but not exactly what I'm looking for:

OTI-01-0083 How to change out a UNIX Enterprise Server: Oddly enough this doesn't mention running an installation plan at all.
OTI-99-0057 Changing out a Deployment Server
OTI-02-0076 Removing an Enterprise Server, Environments and Pathcodes: This was actually about how to get rid of an Enterprise Server (apparently setting fire to it isn't enough).

Does anyone have a number for a document like, "Changing out a Windows Enterprise Server"?

Thanks in advance. -tim

Okay, I talked with a friend here and we got straightened out. The guide for doing this is section 12 of the Installation Guide. It describes how to add a new Enterprise Server using the Installation planner.

Basically, this is adding a new server, then deleting the old one when that's done. The database can be changed by simply changing the TNSNames files for each client.

Hello Tim,
I implemented such procedure several times (Really I do it regularly when I want to refresh my test system with all the production data).
The simplest and fastest way is to copy everything and run an SQL update script against the database. You'll have to update some files on your app and deployment servers as well, however it's still faster. I published my Oracle script in this forum; just customize it to your NT/MS SQL and that's it.
Good luck!

Alex
Oracle, Sun, XE

Alex is rigth, no need to run the installation planner. You can copy everything, Oracle as well as the complete JDE directory tree.
I would do this:
1. Create "New_server - Server map" datasource, using same table owner svm7333
2. Create "New_server" and "New_server - Logic" logical datasource
(repeat 1. and 2. on the DS for Local)
3. Copy everything from Old_server to new_Server, incl. your database
4. Adjust tnsname.ora and JDE.INI
5. Install and start services
6. When the new server is up, go into machine identification (GH9083) and add the new server/environments in your location.
7. You may have to adjust some OCM mappings for BSFN and/or UBE to the new server.

Delete the old datasources.
That's it. Although there are entries for JDE in the server's registry, they are not used on an ES.

I have seen too many times problems after running the installation workbench against an already existing installation.

Good luck, Gerd

Alex and Gerd, you are the CNCs!
I followed your instructions and it worked out great. There were two things I had to add for this to work:

1) Make user you create a JDE user on the new enterprise server and make the two JDE services startup with him as owner (I couldn't submit UBEs against the server without this)

2) In the data sources, I changed all the data sources that made reference to OLD_SERVER to NEW_SERVER. Maybe this wouldn't matter, but I imagine that someone evaluating the installation would have worried about this.

It worked great and only took me 1.5 hours to finish! Thanks Alex and Gerd!

Back