Peoplesoft pulls outta Quest Midwest

DRezanka

DRezanka

Reputable Poster
What's up with that? Anyone seen anything that might indicate why?

I sat in on the ICAB User Group Integration Team Presentation that was held yesterday, and this was part of the initiative to integrate JDE and PS user groups by June 2004. The call left questions such as pulling out of Quest Midwest (although Quest is supposed to remain a "viable" support entity), and what would happen with the SIG Forum to be held next month (especially since all who will attend have paid for the trip). The response was to make contact with liaisons prior to the trip, and give the liaisons the White Papers afterwards. Nice.

I was hoping to meet with Integration Team members next week, but that does not look to be happening...

This just in: A message from Quest

Dear Quest Midwest Attendee,

Quest has received notification from PeopleSoft that PeopleSoft is withdrawing from participation in Quest Midwest Conference, January 12-14 in Chicago, and Quest's other spring events. PeopleSoft's decision is extremely disappointing, as the company had previously committed to participate. Of course, the door is always open for PeopleSoft to be part of Quest's customer-driven, customer-led events, including Quest Midwest.

then a message that Quest Midwest is still has value.

Like I said, the pull out is part of the "greater" (?) initiative...the Integration Team still has a lot of 'splainin' to do for my money...

Robert,
I am not sure what this means? Can you elaborate for those of us who are
booked into this conference already?
Libbi Fletcher
HoMedics, Inc.

Re: RE: Peoplesoft pulls outta Quest Midwest

Here is the email they sent out:

January 7, 2004

Dear Quest Members:

Quest recently received notification that PeopleSoft has withdrawn from participating in next week's Quest Midwest Conference and other Quest activities. PeopleSoft had previously committed to participate in Quest's regional and international conferences throughout January and February. Of course, the door is always open for PeopleSoft to be part of Quest's customer-driven, customer-led events.

Quest will continue to sustain our commitments, regardless of PeopleSoft's level of participation. Lack of participation by PeopleSoft will not diminish the quality of education and networking resources that Quest provides. In fact, with a growing network of more than 15,000 members worldwide, Quest is well positioned to provide value.

I am sure you are wondering why PeopleSoft made this decision. In mid-December, PeopleSoft issued a letter outlining certain conditions for its participation. Quest's Board of Directors -- made up of volunteers from the customer community -- declined. The Quest board believes that the conditions would not serve the best interests of members. At the same time, the board reiterated our request that PeopleSoft participate in the scheduled user events.

PeopleSoft's decision not to participate in these user conferences is extremely disappointing. However, Quest is an independent organization whose role is to provide enhanced value that complements vendor-provided services. Customers indicate that Quest's services are highly valued, appropriate and necessary; thus, Quest user conferences will go on, as will other Quest services that create additional value for PeopleSoft World and EnterpriseOne users.

Quest Midwest (January 12-14 in Chicago) will take place as scheduled, as will Quest SIG Forum, Quest West, Quest Australia & New Zealand and Quest Global Conference. These are just the list of the most current activities -- visit QuestDirect.org for future updates.

During the recent period of change and throughout our more than seven years of existence, Quest has been a solid support and information system for PeopleSoft World and EnterpriseOne users. Quest has been able to achieve these results because of our status as an independent user group, a position that has many benefits and one we wish to maintain.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email [email protected]. I look forward to seeing you at an upcoming Quest event.

Sincerely,

Barbara L. Schmit
President, Quest
Chief Information Officer, CNT

From Quest:

January 7, 2004

Dear Quest Members:

Quest recently received notification that PeopleSoft has withdrawn from participating in next week's Quest Midwest Conference and other Quest activities. PeopleSoft had previously committed to participate in Quest's regional and international conferences throughout January and February. Of course, the door is always open for PeopleSoft to be part of Quest's customer-driven, customer-led events.

Quest will continue to sustain our commitments, regardless of PeopleSoft's level of participation. Lack of participation by PeopleSoft will not diminish the quality of education and networking resources that Quest provides. In fact, with a growing network of more than 15,000 members worldwide, Quest is well positioned to provide value.

I am sure you are wondering why PeopleSoft made this decision. In mid-December, PeopleSoft issued a letter outlining certain conditions for its participation. Quest's Board of Directors -- made up of volunteers from the customer community -- declined. The Quest board believes that the conditions would not serve the best interests of members. At the same time, the board reiterated our request that PeopleSoft participate in the scheduled user events.

PeopleSoft's decision not to participate in these user conferences is extremely disappointing. However, Quest is an independent organization whose role is to provide enhanced value that complements vendor-provided services. Customers indicate that Quest's services are highly valued, appropriate and necessary; thus, Quest user conferences will go on, as will other Quest services that create additional value for PeopleSoft World and EnterpriseOne users.

Quest Midwest (January 12-14 in Chicago) will take place as scheduled, as will Quest SIG Forum, Quest West, Quest Australia & New Zealand and Quest Global Conference. These are just the list of the most current activities -- visit QuestDirect.org for future updates.

During the recent period of change and throughout our more than seven years of existence, Quest has been a solid support and information system for PeopleSoft World and EnterpriseOne users. Quest has been able to achieve these results because of our status as an independent user group, a position that has many benefits and one we wish to maintain.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email [email protected]. I look forward to seeing you at an upcoming Quest event.

Sincerely,

Barbara L. Schmit
President, Quest
Chief Information Officer, CNT

What does this mean?

People soft wants Quest to go away. Why? Peoplesoft wants to control how and when it's customers comunicate with each other. Quest is independently operated. It is run by a board of directors elected by Quest members. While Peoplesoft is encouraged to participate, they do not control what Quest does. Peoplesoft views Quest as some kind of threat, kind of like a labor union. The last thing PS wants is Customers banning together to leverage the direction of how PS develops it's software in the future.

Independence from PS is a good thing. Take this website, do you think this post would last 5 minutes on a Peoplesoft sponsored message forum?

Bottom line, if you value Quest as an independent user group you need to support it by renewing your membership, attending it's conferences. If you don't it will surely not be around for very long. But if Quest can survive for a year or two, Peoplesoft will almost certainly accept it and begin participating in conferences again. You can't ignore your customers.

IMOHO

Couldn't have said it better myself! What does this mean for Quest events? Well this one they will backfill a couple of presentations, and that is about it. I am honestly baffled (though I thought nothing would surprise me by now) because PSFT doesn't have their own regional events... I can see Quest Global threatening, but not MUG! Independence is a good thing, and I wholeheartedly agree that when PSFT sees what Quest does in the future, they will definitely rethink their position. It is very nice because Quest is adding all kinds of improvements since the breakup which makes it that much better! They gotta stay valuable after all, and that they will be!

The message from the ICAB (PeopleSoft) User Group was, I guess, expected and predictable; the Integration Team has suggested that PS and JDE users groups in the same area merge their operations. As this message was delivered under the auspices of "consolidation for savings", the implied message was "join or you are on your own". The conference call was also the herald of the news that all Quest members received yesterday: PeopleSoft has withdrawn from the Midwest Conference and ALL Spring Quest (read: all user groups, local, regional and international) events.

I think I see the ICAB working, but the message they are sending is wrong; coercing people to join a group of lose all concomitant benefits is a move that will have very negative repercussions. Asking groups like ours to give up our autonomy would likely lead to the loss of what say we do have in future software development.

In short, from all indications, we are on our own. Support of this forum, our local user groups and Quest is more important now than ever. We really have no idea of the relationship between PeopleSoft and the ICAB; however, if they are used to some sort of "Stepford User" relationship, they should find out quickly that JDE users don't play that...

I will be at the Midwest Conference next week as well, and I will assess the effects and report back. Those who have planned to go should continue with those plans. No pressure here, but how we conduct ourselves as user-members will send the clearest signal to the PeopleSoft powers that be members about our viability, functionality as a "going concern" and resolve to maintain ourselves as an entity that asks more of its software company...

The message from the ICAB (PeopleSoft) User Group was, I guess, expected and predictable; the Integration Team has suggested that PS and JDE users groups in the same area merge their operations. As this message was delivered under the auspices of "consolidation for savings", the implied message was "join or you are on your own". The conference call was also the herald of the news that all Quest members received yesterday: PeopleSoft has withdrawn from the Midwest Conference and ALL Spring Quest (read: all user groups, local, regional and international) events.

I think I see the ICAB working, but the message they are sending is wrong; coercing people to join a group or lose all concomitant benefits is a move that will have very negative repercussions. Asking groups like ours to give up our autonomy would likely lead to the loss of what say we do have in future software development.

In short, from all indications, we are on our own. Support of this forum, our local user groups and Quest is more important now than ever. We really have no idea of the relationship between PeopleSoft and the ICAB; however, if they are used to some sort of "Stepford User" relationship, they should find out quickly that JDE users don't play that...

I will be at the Midwest Conference next week as well, and I will assess the effects and report back. Those who have planned to go should continue with those plans. No pressure here, but how we conduct ourselves as user-members will send the clearest signal to the PeopleSoft powers that be about our viability, functionality as a "going concern" and resolve to maintain ourselves as an entity that asks more of its software company...

I heard from a good source that PSFT will still take the papers that come out of the SIG Forum, review them and give them to development. I feel that it is very important that we come to this year's SIG forum ready with important changes that should be made, and with the support for each other that we will need to stand up for what we need.

Back