Deployment Server Specs

tboat00

tboat00

Well Known Member
We are currently looking to replace the server we use as our deployment server. Does anyone know if a multi-processor server would actually get taken advantage of during the deployment and/or package build processes or would multiple processors just be overkill?

Tim,

It's been my experience that the multiple processors on our deployment server are indeed both used during the package build process, especially during the part of the build while it is compiling C objects. This allows the C compiles to occur at the same time that specs are being generated.

I used to mention that it really wasn't worth purchasing multiple processors for the deployment server - but since the prices for dual processor machines have come down dramatically, I have to change my stand on this.

A dual processor deployment server will certainly speed up the package build process - specifically when it kicks off the client C build processes. If this process is already fast for your implementation - and is not impacting the rest of the package build process, then it is not worth looking into updating the deployment server.

Another method of increasing the deployment server performance is to look at the network connectivity between the deployment server and the enterprise server. Most of the client side package build process is taken up with a LOT of chattiness between the two machines, and it is always worth placing the deployment server as close as possible to the enterprise server - ie, same VLAN, same segment etc etc. Check the connectivity using FTP to ensure that you're receiving as fast a connection as possible.

Back