ODBC and security.

KSmithCPA

Reputable Poster
I would like to extract some data on a recurring basis thru an ODBC link into an outside application, like MS Access, and I have a few questions. ODBC links will not recognize JDE security, so a layer of Database security will be needed, correct? If the link is set-up as "read only" what risks are involved by linking directly to the production data? Has anyone else set this up? If so, what other gotcha's should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Look for information on the ODA (Open Data Access) ODBC driver. It is a read
only ODBC driver supplied by JDE. It supports JDE Security and utilizes the
data dictionary. Using other ODBC drivers leaves you wide open on security
unless you implement security directly on the database itself.

Patrick Conlon
Allegheny County
XE update 4 SP20
AS/400 citrix, java, TS

Ken,

Here we use JDEDirect. That's a JDE specific OBDC driver.
It uses JDE security (requires a valide JDE login and applies the corresponding security settings), and reads the data dictionary, converts the dates and manages the decimals for you.
We use it with Crystal Reports and also to extract Data for Cognos.

As I am writing this message, I can see the JDEDirect banner on top of my page, but if you can't see it, the address is:
www.jdedirect.com

Hope this helps

Regards

Philippe

We just recently implemented Exit Point security on the AS/400. We use a single user id to connect to the AS/400 for OneWorld. All other users, using ODBC either has to be read only or the user has to be set up in our own security file. Here is the IBM doc web site. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm

Search on Exit Point or QIBM_QZDA

As setting up the ODBC as read only, anyone can change that flag to read and write so I wouldn't rely on that security alone.

Wes

Back