Recovery to Test Environments

meridiangold

I have created a 'test environment' that contains a Deployment server and an Enterprise server. I have performed the full installation plan for XE, applied Update 5 and special instructions and built a package for DV7333. I now would like to 'restore' my 'live environment' databases to my test environment, however, my test deployment and enterprise servers have different names than my live servers. What I'd like to do is do a test restore from my tape backup but I'm concerned about the names. I've searched the forums for previous posts and have really only found reference to the document on how to change the deployment server.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best approach to take?
I'd also like to do a SQL backup of my live databases and restore to my test databases, but again, I'm concerned about the names.
I really appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

The database name is easy to change during the restore. Changing the owners of the tables is a little more complicated. If you do want to modify the sysobjects and syspermissions tables directly, you can use the following commands to create the scripts to change the the object owner names.

sp_msforeachtable "if '?' LIKE '[[]PRODDTA]%' print 'exec sp_changeobjectowner ''?'', ''TESTDTA'''"
sp_msforeachtable "if '?' LIKE '[[]PRODCTL]%' print 'exec sp_changeobjectowner ''?'', ''TESTCTL'''"

Thanks Jeremy. However, you may have misunderstood my question or perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not changing the names of the databases, I'm changing the names of the deployment and enterprise servers. I'm doing a test restore to my test servers which have different names than the production servers.

Stacy Barry
Meridian Gold Company
775-850-3735 - voice
775-850-4535 - fax
[email protected]

W2K, SQL 2K, XE, Update 5, SP18.1

It's been a while since I've done this but the last time I did it I had to update the following tables that contained the deployment server name:

F00942
F00945
F983051
F9861

The name is also in the following tables in the JDEPLAN.MDB

F9650
F9651

Like I said it has been a while and there may be other tables.

If you want to run a check you could populate the cross reference utility and search for tables that use the Data Dictionary Item "MKEY"

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll take a look at this. Were there specific steps you followed in a particular order or did you just restore from tape and make the changes within SQL Enterprise / Access?

Stacy Barry
Meridian Gold Company
775-850-3735 - voice
775-850-4535 - fax
[email protected]

W2K, SQL 2K, XE, Update 5, SP18.1

Re: RE: Recovery to Test Environments

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I live in Utah and we have had 3 feet of snow and backouts.

I didn't follow any particular order but the enterprise server is more important than the Access tables. Like I said before this was quite a while ago and pre-omw. You might want to take a look at the OMW related tables just in case.

Back