Oracle Block Size

BASSMTN1

When creating the oracle data base for JDE is there any recommended block size that should be set to use with JDE.

A consultant who created our data base set the block size at 4092. I have been told by another JDE tech person that the block size should have been set at 8192. If this is true can the block size be changed ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

ERP 8.1, oracle 9.2, windows 2000

It depends on the size of your database, or at least the size of the expected
database. I believe a simplistic view is that the larger the block size, the
less I/O for large queries/inserts, and therefore better performance for
large databases. The opposite being true for smaller
databases/queries/inserts. There is also a benefit in matching the block
size of the database to the allocation unit of the volume the various oracle
files are located on. I have never tried it but I imagine you could carry
the logic down to the raid array in terms of the cluster size. For all the
installs I do, I would normally set it to 8192 (50 - 300 users)
As for being able to change it, at my last read of it, you are going have to
backup, drop, and restore your instance unfortunately!
Regards

This is not really a Peoplesoft specific question. Its really an Oracle question that you can get a better answer for at one of the Oracle forums (www.orafaq.com).

1. A piece of General advice is that it should be a multiple of the size of the File System Block size (NTFS Cluster size - run "chkdsk c:" to find out - usual # is 4K). If you FS Block size is < 4K you would experience performance issues.
2. 9i now supports more than 1 block size per database (verboten prior to 9i). You can have a different block size in 9i for each tablespace.
3. You will get varying opinions from DBA gurus as to what block size (and other settings) best fit a particular scenario. Unless you have a specific reason to change I wouldn't fuss over your current setting.
4. Do NOT try to switch this parameter on the fly! Let a Oracle DBA handle this - if it must be changed at all.

Regards,

Re: RE: Oracle Block Size

I might be out of date here, but does Oracle still do page level locking? In that case there's probably a trade-off between the performace benefit of better io throughput vs the penalty of higher contention of locked pages.

Back