Can somebody help a newbie?

davza

Hello everyone.
I'm new with JD so I still looking for a lot of answers. According to my support guy the system is XE Ver. b73.3.3 Update 6 SP 21 DB Oracle 9i running on a Windows 2000 + sp3 with 2 GB RAM and another box with Citrix Metaframe XP FR3.
My issue is that the Enterprise server leaves jdenet_k and jdequeue process on the Windows open even with no users connected. When a large number of those process are stuck in the server, the JD starts to slow until we reboot the enterprise server.
This is a problem because usually it happens in the middle of the day. Does anybody have a clue of why aren't those process being closed?, my understanding is that if a user losg out of JD the process for that user should be closed.
Does anybody know if I can upgrade the Deployment and Enterprise server to Win2000 sp4?

Thanks in advance for any help

David

Hi David, welcome to the List.
What you are seeing is actually normal. When s.o. logs into OneWorld, there are no JDE-processes created on the server. The user's WS connects to the database. The server processes run always, they are not supposed to die, but they should not slow down you server either. Users may submit batches to the server. These batches run and exit on termination. Depending on how many batch queues you have configured in your system you may have a lot of processes running.
Until you get a somewhat better understanding of the system, don't kill the net and queue processes. If your system really slows down every midday, you may want to get some help from a technical consultant.

Good luck, Gerd

Thank you Gerd.
How can I see how many Queues I have on my system?.

Best Regards.
David

David

The other thing you might want to have a look at is the tuning of your Oracle database. Get your dba to monitor the buffer cache hit ratio. This is a measure of the how often the database retrieves data from the buffer cache rather than having to go to disk to get it which is expensive. Ideally if you can get the hit ratio above 90 percent you are doing well. Just make sure that it is not really low.

Regards
Marty

David, look in your server's JDE.INI file. You'll find it in \B7333\system\bin32 . Look for UBEQueues=?? in the [NETWORK QUEUE SETTINGS] stanza. That will give you the number of queues. Mind you, there may be quite a few more processes then the just number of queues.

Gerd

What you may be experiencing is on your Terminal server that is running Citrix. What we have found is running the normal defaul detail menu system on a terminal server does not relieve memory like it supposed to. We changed all our menus to display in WEB view and the memory is being reallocated properly. SP20 actually turns off the WEB veiw because there was too much overhead for JDE to keep up with Microsoft Explorer changes. I bet, if you watch the Task Manager and the amount of memory used, you will see a BIG difference between a normal default menu and the WEB menu. In fact, when we found this, JDE was shocked. They actually verified it in Denver, but we haven't heard from them yet. Change over to the Web view on the "W" environments and see if you notice a difference. You will still have to reboot periodically but it should get better for you.

Franklin

Back