Baseline ESU's

rhunt

Well Known Member
Baseline ESU\'s

Everything in my environment has been really stable for about 1 year so I haven't been installing ESU's. That run is over and now I need to install an ESU that requires baseline JD18810.

Can someone sum up what the baselines are for and if there is any difference in how they need to be treated (as compared to regular ESU's).

Thanks

Ryan Hunt

Re: Baseline ESU\'s

Baslines are regular ESUs, they get built and applied like regular ESU. JDE
also has new Impact Analysis tool that shows you which objects will be
applied to your system before they are actually applied. I would strongly
suggest to use before applying the baseline. If you have not been taking
ESU by taking the baseline most of your objects would get changed. If you
were taking regular ESUs then the baseline would not have too much impact on
your environment.
If you need more info you can email me directly at [email protected]
Thanks
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 8:33 AM
Subject: Baseline ESU's

haven't been installing ESU's. That run is over and now I need to install
an ESU that requires baseline JD18810.Can someone sum up what the baselines
are for and if there is any difference in how they need to be treated (as
compared to regular ESU's).ThanksRyan Hunt
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=65058
messages, login to http://www.jdelist.com/forums, click Control Panel, then
click Edit by "Subscribe / Unsubscribe from receiving board posts by email,
change message notifications, etc." and adjust your subscription
preferences. JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

Before I can describe what a baseline is, we must know some things:

1. JDE (Peoplesoft) makes many changes to the software. These changes, known as SARs, typically fix bugs or provide minor enhancements.
2. Since Xe was been released, the number of SARs for Xe numbers in the thousands.
3. Each SAR can have dependencies on other SARs (e.g. if two SARs change the same object, the two SARs are interdependent.)
4. An ESU is the minimal set of SARs that can be delivered as a unit. The SARs that make up an ESU have no external dependencies. This means that, in theory, when a client takes an ESU, the package that they build will always build.
5. As the number of SARs increase over time, the liklihood of SAR interdepence increases. The result is larger ESUs.

Now the drumroll...

6. When an ESU gets too large to be an effective "Update", the ESU gets "Baselined". This essentially means that the ESU got so big, you might as well take it as a cumulative update of fixes. The advantage of doing this is that it "resets" the interdepencies of the ESUs back to zero. Subsequent ESUs that derive from the baseline will be smaller (for a while...)

What appears vexing to a user who needs a fix is this:

Any particular SAR appears to have changed a small number of objects. Why then would one have to take such a big baseline?

The answer is that the SAR does not exist in isolation. It depends on all the other prior changes made to that object in previous SARs. These are the interdepencies -- and they cannot be ignored.

Hope this helps as an overview.

I am having trouble with the software analysis tool. My current planner ESU is JD19076 which inlcuded the analysis tool. I have verified the 23 tables required for the analysis (as requested in the JD19076 special instructions). However, when I try to run the progam I get an error that states, "Unable to retrieve BLC spec for business function DoesFilePathExist"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ryan Hunt

I got it all worked out. For whatever reason, a full package build did it.

Ryan

Back