Solution Explorer

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
I'm still trying to get the Solution Explorer to work. I've run the R9000C batch to copy the OneWorld menus to a OneWorld Explorer task view. My question is, with our current OneWorld Explorer setup, the user's (or group's) profile specifies the menu to start in. Almost none of our users starts with the "G" menu, but at some sub-level. Can I somehow "link into" the copied menus (which are now tasks and relationship) and point users to a specific starting point in the task view relationship.

For example, I'd like my material handlers to show their own "menu" or task view when they start Solution Explorer. Currently, they get what was the "G" menu, and I'd like to avoid that.

Obviously, I don't want to have to recreate menus as task views, but I'm getting the feeling that I'll have to. Any ideas on how else I can get what I'm looking for without all the extra data re-entry of menu structures/relationships?

Hi Don,

You have just asked the $64,000 question about Solution Explorer. We asked that question point blank to Peoplesoft/JDE. We have hundreds of custom menus created for our various user security groups, and would like to carry that functionality forward into Solution Explorer. The Peoplsoft/JDE consultant admits that JDE dropped the ball on this issue. The other things they dropped the ball on in the XE release, that will be fixed in EO 8.9 (formerly known as B9 or ERP 9), is the ability to promote Solution Explorer task views through OMW. The other gotcha is that you have to assign System Roles (custom main menus in OneWorld Explorer lingo) to the individual, not to the security group. If you attempt to assign a task view to a group, the system rejects the transaction (also fixed in EO8.9).

The solution that I am attempting is a "redo" of the custom menus. Starting in the OneWorld interface, I created a new parent menu, USA Roles. Under that parent, I made a child menu for all 120 USA custom menus. I then ran R9000C to bring those menus across into Solution Explorer. I copied the "USA Roles" menu structure into the End-User Task view and then used finecut to create 120 custom role based taskviews for each of my US security groups. I will have to repeat that work for Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica and Belgium, the other coutries that use my servers.

As you can see, there is no smooth transition for customers who are using the OneWorld Explorer and are looking to change over to Solution Explorer (and yes, JDE admits this too). I suspect that this will become a hot button topic for other companies as they begin their prep work to upgrade to EO 8.9 (which is Solution Explorer based exclusively).

Good luck. I have been hacking my way through this forest in my spare time (what's that?) for over a year now and am a tad bit frustrated.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

Gregg,

If you are not using roles, you can execute the following SQL statement to grant all users access to all roles.

insert into SYS7334.F95921
select RLFRROLE, uluser, RLEFFDATE, RLEXPIRDATE, RLROLETYP, RLSYSROLE, RLDEFROLE, RLFUROLE1, RLFUROLE2, RLFUROLE3, RLFUROLE4, RLFUROLE5, RLFUROLE6, RLFUROLE7, RLFUROLE8, RLFUROLE9, RLFUROLE10, RLFUROLE11, RLFUROLE12, RLFUROLE13, RLFUROLE14, RLFUROLE15, RLFUROLE16, RLFUROLE17, RLFUROLE18, RLFUROLE19, RLFUROLE20, RLFUROLE22, RLFUROLE23, RLFUROLE24, RLFUROLE25, RLUSER, RLPID, RLJOBN, RLUPMJ, RLUPMT
From sys7334.f0092
left join SYS7334.F95921
on uluser not in (select distinct rltorole from SYS7334.F95921) and ulugrp<>'*GROUP' and RLTOROLE ='DEMO'
where uluser <> '   ' and RLFRROLE is not null

Concerning migrating the Menus into tasks, we accomplished this by running the R9000C in a development environment, and then SQLing the custom data from the development in the test location.

Back