SP22 - Spec2.cab in Packages

grrliegrrl75

grrliegrrl75

So, to add on to my post within another thread "Problems with Packages"....

We just installed SP22. Now, when we preform a full package build, we get two spec files. spec.cab and spec2.cab. When we install the package on a client, only the spec.cab gets extracted. It never seems to grab spec2.cab.

I know this issue isn't unique to us since I work with another JDE client in my spare time and they've had the same thing happen since they've been on SP22.

I just know that there must be something small that I've missed. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!
Michelle

Michelle,

We're on SP22 & also have a spec and spec2.

We don't have any problems though. My belief was that SP22 is now dividing the specs between client and server. Only those that can run on the server get added to spec2, hence reducing full packages build times.

I could be wrong on this....

/ Ian

Same here. I have seen these spec2.cab for a while. I searched the KG, nothing. The package.inf file does not mention the second compressed spec file either.
I am curious to see some official documentation on that.
Otherwise there seem to be no issues with this.

Thanks, Gerd

Michelle,

Praxair has been on SP22 for quite some time now and we do not have any problems with the two spec.cab files.

The reason why the build process breaks the specs into two cab files now is size. There is a one gigabyte hard ceiling on Cab files. When a cab file gets larger than one Gig, the Cab creation fails. This is not a JDE issue, it is a Microsoft limitation. Now the build process breaks the Spec Directory into two CABS to keep the size under one Gig.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
North American PeopleSoft
Enterprise One System Administrator

Hmm, this is interesting information.

I've noticed that if a certain spec file - let's say rdaspec - is only in the spec2.cab (I've also seen instances where it breaks a spec file into two parts - one part in each spec cab), when I install the full package to the client, the rdaspec does NOT get installed into the spec folder. This results in errors like the ones outlined in the "Problems with Packages" thread as well as Tam spec errors if you try to check out an object, add a new version, etc. After all, it's trying to write to a spec file that doesn't exist. If I extract spec2.cab to the spec folder and try my process again, everything works fine.

Like Gerd, I have been unable to find any further information about this on the KG.

Gregg, it seems that whenever it comes down to a file size issue, it ALWAYS boils down to some Microsoft limitation.. ;)

WHEN I get to the bottom of this, I will be sure to post my findings!
In the meantime, I welcome all theories!

Thanks!
Michelle

I have been on SP 22 for a while now and have no issues with packages. I think the 2 spec files cam about wtih SP 21 the explaination JDE game me was that the files were getting to be too large to compress without sometimes creating errors so they split it up so that one file will not go over a certain size. If you don't have the 2 files then packages does not work when deployed. I hade that happened once and it was because Spec2 did not get created, I re-built the package and then all was well.

Ok, here's what happened. I can't say that this is what happened at my other client's site since I was not present during their SP22 installation.

The Setup.exe file within the OneWorld Client Install folder on the Deployment server was at level SP15.1. Somewhere during the upgrade, this folder was not replaced with the SP22 version. So, since SP15.1 has never seen two spec.cab's, it just ignored the second one.

There we go. Problem solved.

;)
Michelle

Back