Upgrade Strategy

CitrixDude

Hello List,

I am trying to develop an upgrade strategy for OneWorld for the coming year and curious to know what other clients are doing. Currently we are on XE SP 20 Update 6 and debating whether to do an upgrade this year to ERP8 or hold off and go right to EnterpriseOne 8.9 (once it has been out in the field long enough). Has anyone done an XE upgrade to 8.9, are there any compelling reasons to upgrade to ERP8, should I hold off on the ERP8? Curious to know what fellow XE customers are doing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Dave

We were going to go straight to 8.9 but we don't meet the HP-UX 11i requirement and won't for a year or two due to another third party application. Now we have no choice but to upgrade to 8.0 first. I'm not a happy camper.

Patty

Dave,

this truly depends on what you're using the system for. ERP 8 is a HR/Finance/Service Industry/Real Estate release. EnterpriseOne 8.9 is a supply chain/distribution release.

I've got customers who basically were upgrading the day 8.9 came out and others who are just upgrading to ERP 8.

If you're running Web Client then I'd wait for 8.9 SP2 in March before upgrading.

I've done 2 upgrades to 8.9 and it great. It's got a lot of Technology enhancements do from your view it will ease administration.

I'd ask a partner or JDE/Peoplesoft to come in and give a demo and gve you the 'sell' sheets on the 2 different releases.

If you can I'd go right to 8.9.

Colin

Yes - of course 8.9 has financials, and all the other modules that you already have - but Colin was stating that it is an UPDATE of supply chain/distribution. Financials has been stable in the Oneworld product for a long, long time now - so it rarely gets much of an overhaul (although fixes do still get released).

I agree with Colin - I would certainly recommend moving to ERP 8.9 over the next few months - preferably after SP2 is out (which provides the SAME technical functionality as Xe's SP22).

If you're on Xe - my recommendation is to NOT go to 8.0 - its a lot of effort for very little functionality, even if it means you're platform becomes somewhat unsupported for a small timeframe (although thats real hard to see why, since the platform support is servicepack based usually) - its still worth planning a jump to 8.9

As for all those other customers on versions pre-Xe - you really need to get up to 8.0 at least as soon as possible in my opinion - then stay on that release as long as possible prior to 8.9 becoming "mainstream".

Actually, 8.9 will not reach the web functionality of Xe/ERP 8.0 SP22 until 8.9 SP3 which is scheduled for August of 2004.

Customer currently using Web XE SP22 would take a major step backwards on 8.9 SP2.

Back