'W' environments - pros and cons

wilsonja

\'W\' environments - pros and cons

JDE List,

I am looking for 'pro' and 'con' info regarding using (or not) 'W'
environments in a OneWorld implementation.

My current client is running OW ERP8, SP22_K1, Update 1 on a WinTel
platform with Oracle databases running on Tru64 Unix.

Thanks,
James

Re: \'W\' environments - pros and cons

James,

Our perspective.

Pros:
1. If your ES/DS are the same box performance is outstanding, as the data moves at bus speed instead of network speed.
2. You can fit many more users on a Citrix box if the users are not running MBF's locally.

Cons:

1. Very hard to configure correctly, it took uxs about 3 months of testing to get it right. There are a million dependencies between bsnf's, none of which are well documented.
2. Harder for CNC to maintain, but I never worried about backend issues, as long as the end user sees betters performance and ease of use. After all we are supposed to be the experts.

Tom Davidson

The going perspective appears to be that it is less expensive to just purchase more terminal servers than to deal this three-tier architecture. Hidden costs of the three tier architecture include:
- Administrative cost to maintain multiple logic servers or a the cost of a bigger enterprise server.
- Lost productivity related to debbugging issues related to this architecture.

Search this forum for 'Altquark' and Terminal Server to find some various discussions on this topic.

eek ! (runs away and hides !!!!)

I told a customer recently to move away from the W environments - and this single recommendation led them to a much higher stability in their environment.

My recommendation is - go with non-W environments for Terminal Servers - or go with J environments for a mix of Terminal Servers and JAS clients. The J environments seem to work real well on Citrix (except for development tools - which require the 2-tier environments anyway).

The core recommendation is - pick one set of mappings and stick with it - enforce all users to log in through those mappings - this ensures that you have a full understanding of where issues might be located when they appear.

Hope that helps ! Thanks for the nudge Mr Shearer !!!

We just started testing terminal server. Can we just run the PD7333 environment?

Patty

Sully, if you are asking if you can have a TSE installation with just the PD7333 environment... the answer is yes. In fact, we have production and non- production Citrix servers. PD is on the production boxes and PY/DV are on the non-production.

Charles

Thanks for your response.

Patty

Back