Update vs Baseline ESUs: Best practice?

porup

Hello;

We are on Update 5 and looking to update our applications to Update 7 and/or some specific Xe Baseline ESUs that are required to apply newer "baseline-ESU dependant" ESUs for certain applications.

We have a question concerning technology surrounding Baseline ESUs and Updates, and the best practice to install them.

4 Scenarios.

What is the best practice with regards to installing the latest Xe Baseline ESUs and Updates? Which one should we apply first?

1. Install Update 7 first, then Baseline ESUs on top?
We would like to install Update 7 but then; do we need to install the Baseline ESUs on top of that? Probably, but sounds like lots of work.

OR

2. Install Baseline ESUs first, then Update 7 on top?
Is it better to install the Baseline ESUs to the modules (SOE, Procurement etc) to the areas we use, then install the update on top?
I think the Baseline ESUs are more up-to-date than the Update 7.

OR

3. Install Baseline ESUs only.
Is it perhaps better to install the Baseline ESUs to the modules (SOE, Procurement etc) only and NOT install the Update 7 on top? ie by installing the Baseline ESUs we already get the Update 7 modifications + all the latest fixes to the specific errors we want to solve..

OR

4. Install Update 7 only.
The exact opposite to 3. Installing the Update 7 only. But my understanding is that we will miss out on Baseline ESU functionality (and therefore this becomes scenario 1 to correct the problem)

It feels like a bit of a "chicken versus the egg" problem, but doing things in the right order and avoiding extra/duplicating work is the main idea.

I hope you understand the scenarios. We are just looking for some guidance.

Thanks a $$$ in advance,
/Philip

Hi Philip,

The first 2 Baseline ESU's are included in Update 7:
JD16881 Supply Chain October 2002
JD16991 Payroll October 2002

These are not included in Update 7:
JD18810 Procurement March 2003
JD18813 Human Resources Management March 2003
JD20200 Product Packaging August 2003
JD20235 Expense Management* August 2003
JD20218 Financial Integrities August 2003
JD20050 Euro Conversion - Supply Chain August 2003
JD19158 Euro Conversion - Financials August 2003
JD20275 Sales Order Entry August 2003

I would do Update 7 so that all the table conversions are done and then do all Baseline ESU's that are not in Update 7.

Once Update 7 and all the ESU's are applied, then build you full package.

This is going to be easier and clearer. Also, I always apply the ESU and Apply to PRISTINE first, but that is me.

I just did this 2 months ago.

Good luck.

Hi Adrian,

Exactly what I needed to hear. I didn't factor in the Table Conversion process in Update 7. Sounds like a 'safer' idea to do the Update 7 first, then add the post-update7 Baseline ESUs.

I'll put on the latest SP beforehand, for good measure.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Cheers,
/Philip

Back