Is it possible to stop and restart a oracle database without stopping JDE Services ?

antoine_mpo

Reputable Poster
Hi list,

If you shut down and restart an oracle database without stopping the JDE services (Queue and Network), will the system be ok or could there be some issues for fat clients and/or html clients ?
(I ask that because i need to do an off line database backup once a week, and it's such a pain in the ass to automatically stop the JDE services !!)

We did some a test, and we could reconnect and re-use jde with both fat client and html client, but after we had a problem with the UBE Queues, but i don't know if it was du to that or something else.

Thanks in advance.

Antoine.
OW system admin.

Re: Is it possible to stop and restart a oracle database without stopping JDE Services ?

Hi Antonie,

I don't think one should ever do that.. one should always stop JDE services first and then Database services.
The reason I say so is as the JDE services won't be able to connect to the database to perform any database related activities. The services are hooked on to the database and if you bring down the database you can see n numbers of errors in your enterprise server jde.log file. You can always check there some odd 7-8 session open for JDE in oracle.

Hope this helps..

Re: Is it possible to stop and restart a oracle database without stopping JDE Services ?

Hi Sunny,

Yes we had some error messages in jde.log files of the server, but it seems that the system is working .... May be it doesn't work properly.
But, by "odd sessions" in oracle, what do you mean ? Because i don't see any particular strange sessions ... (i've got a couple without user, nor program ... But i can see those in the 2 oracle databases we are using).

Cheers,
Antoine.

Antoine,

Intentionally shutting down the database without first shutting down the OneWorld services would not be a good idea. Instead I suggest you conquer this issue of stopping and starting the JDE services.

Granted we here are not on a Windows server platform - but many others are and I'm sure that at least SOME of them are able to script a graceful shutdown and startup for backup purposes.

How about it List, can you help out Antoine out with some scripting ideas/examples for automating his backups?

Regards,

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advices.
You must be right. I was asking but deep inside of me, i was pretty sure of the answer.

Anyway, i finally manage to do a script to cut jde services and then oracle. It seems to work well.

Cheers,

Antoine.
OW system admin

Back