Journal Recievers

mkellow

Hello Everyone ,

I am running oneworld xe ( b7334 sp21m ) on an as400 enterprise server. ( model 820 , 2350cpw , 4gb ram , 320 gb hdd )

In the operators log there are a heap of mesages about journal recievers being detached . Is this normal ??

I have attached a copy of the mesage below.

Message ID . . . . . . : CPF7020 Severity . . . . . . . : 00
Message type . . . . . : Information
Date sent . . . . . . : 12/09/03 Time sent . . . . . . : 07:59:33

Message . . . . : Journal receivers OW_JRN2957 and *N detached.
Cause . . . . . : Journal receiver OW_JRN2957 in library OWJRNL and *N in
library *N were detached from journal OW_JRNL in library OWJRNL. The
journal receivers were detached from journal OW_JRNL for one of the
following reasons:
- a user issued a Change Journal (CHGJRN) command to attach new journal
receivers
- a user issued a Delete Journal (DLTJRN) command
- the system performed the change journal function for a journal that is
defined as MNGRCV(*SYSTEM)
If only one receiver was detached, *N in library *N will be the second
receiver name.
More...

If anyone can tell me if this is normal or if it is not and how i should go about fixing it that would be great.

Thanks
Matthew Kellow

Hi Matthew,
You may have gotten some information since but in laymens terms my inderstanding of journal recievers is:
There is a journal for all JDE database transactions that, among other things, can be used to complete or back out of transactions if there are any issues eg. a system crash or power failure mid transaction. The journal is attached to a journal receiver which is a file where the transaction details are stored. The receivers are set with a threshold ( ours are 6mb ) and when a receiver reaches this threshold it is detached and a new journal receiver is created - your message is telling you that this is what is happenning.
On our system they are stored in the OWJRNL library.

Hi

Don't worry. This is normal. If you wont to know more you will contact me.

Regards Jacek

Hi Matthew,

If the receivers are being changed frequently (likely in high-transaction systems) you may want to increase the receiver threshold size. This will reduce the number of changes required in any given time-frame, and will therefore reduce any performance overhead incurred in performing frequent changes.
You can change the threshold by creating a new receiver (using the CRTJRNRCV command) and then issuing a CHGJRN against the OWJRNL to attach to the new receiver.

Rgds,

Back