Tough CNC Issue - need troubleshooting ideas

HampMcCool

I have a UBE that runs fine locally, but, fails on the server with "pointer out of range".

We've built a full package, deployed to both client and server, re-synchronised the data dictionaries, checked the OCM, and the problem still happens.

Our enterprise server is an AS/400 with ERP 8 SP22.

This could have something to do with the fact that the run environment for a UBE on the AS/400 is a little different than it is on a client PC, but I can't seem to isolate what might be causing it.

I'm open to all ideas!

Thanks to all that help!

You have a totally different operating system running the code when it is submitted to the 400 (obviously). I have seen where the AS/400 is more particular about floating point errors and such and will give you the MCH3601 message. Intel tends to just blow by these errors.

If you look in the job log of the 400 and the DSPJOB output that JDE pops out, you can see the procedure and such that is dieing.

In one case, we needed a PTF for the 400 (because they did change some things in V5R2). In other cases, we have found a data issue and/or fixed the business function to be more careful about limits.

Can you narrow it down a bit as to where in the code it is failing? You can get some idea by turning up the debugging level.

In particular I'd be suspicious of any custom or modified C business functions. Any of those?

Good luck,
JohnO

Thanks to all who gave me ideas!

It turned out that it had to do with a file that had been converted from legacy data, and had NULL characters in a few fields.

The AS/400 wasn't expecting, and didn't like the nulls, but, the PC execution environment didn't mind them.

I would suspect you have a BSFN mapping problem in your server map. There should be no BSFN mapping in the Server Map.

Back