SQL Performance Monitoring

cdawes

VIP Member
I just wanted to take a quick poll of what native and 3rd Paty Applications people were using to monitor SQL Server 2000. Specifically what tools are you using to check for full table scans and for what statements are being run from the DBMS level (not via OW/ERP)? I know there are a number of tools out there but I'm looking to re-evaluate a number of them

Thanks

Colin

I have been doing a lot of performance monitoring/ tunning on OW XE. I've been mainly using perfmon. I have set up some jobs to look for certain items and log it to a text file. These jobs I ran during peak hours for about a month and a half.

Once the items are logged I then import them into an Acces database so that I can save them to export select info itno an Excel spreadsheet where I can do different trend analysis.

Another option on the same line I used the website SQL-Server-Performance.com for many suggestions. One article they had on trend analysis for performance had a way to do an audit. You can find it at http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_performance_audit.asp

The audit was very detailed and contains information both appliable to the server, hardware and JDE. Based on some of the information I was able to make some adjustments as well as increase our performance in some of the areas, such as running some of the reports.

In short, I've looked for tools, but being new to JDE and having more experience in the DB side of things - the tools I'm use to using don't work very well with JDE. Thus, the ol' realiable perfmon and, traces and general queries I found here and there from posts I've been able to establish my own routine to troubleshoot and improve the database from what I can. I would highly recommend doing the audit and reading the chain of articles. It was very helpful and it goes into doing trend analysis on our DB.

We use NetIQ. It provides quite detailed information, logs historical data, has graphical displays, allows configurable alerts, etc. I think it's a good mid-priced tool.

I was using perfmon, but after a visit from an Edwards performance consultant I'm trying out Quest Spotlight for SQL Server. So far I really like it. It has a nice dashboard and you can easily drill down.

Back