case sensitivity (DB2)

coexistence_cnc

We have encountered an issue with OneWorld and DB2 UDB. With MS SQL as our database we never encountered a case sensitivity issue, however with DB2 UDB as our database we do. Example, in OneWorld with DB2 UDB when we do a find in the Address Book (P01012) and use the Alpha name "Michael" in the find criteria, we retrieve no records. However if we use the same Alpha name "MICHAEL" we retrieve a record. With MS SQL as the database we retrieve the record regardless if the Alpha name is uppercase, lowercase or a mix of both.

Has anybody else seen this? We are on an iseries 400 running XE with the current SP and O/S400 V5R2 which is 100% APAR current.

Coex,

That's the way DB/2 UDB works... welcome to the 400 world. To my knowledge, there isn't a work around. Since an 'A' and an 'a' are different values - they are different in the index... thus, DB/2 doesn't see them the same...

SQL is just cheating the system (grin)...

We fought it when we went form SQL to DB/2... , too.

db

We have the same issue using DB2 400. It appears that in some areas of
OneWorld there is case sensitivity and in others there is not. Can anyone
confirm this?

Xe, DB2400, V5R2

Re: RE: case sensitivity (DB2)

There are application screens/forms where the searched-on text is programatically (Event Rules) modified to UPPER case, therefore, even if the user enters a lower case text, the query is built in UPPER case.

One way we get arround this is update your ABDC in F0101 to upper case (and/or to input alpha name in UPPER case only). The ABDC field is used to search your address book file.

Wes

would appreciate a respopnse from the SQL and Oracle people out there.
do you experience the same case sensitive problem in the AB application or any other application?
do you think it db related or OneWorld program specific?

Thank-You.
We are on an iseries 400 running XE with the current SP and O/S400 V5R2 which is 100% APAR current.

This (case sensitivity) is a database issue. JDE "could" have dealt with it at the foundation level but evidently chose not to.

To my knowledge only SQL Server has this option for case insensitive queries.

When you install SQL Server, the default collation is NOT case sensitive. If you want case sensitive, you have to change it at the time of install. I can't find anywhere in the online help about changing it afterwards.

So unless this is changed during the install, any query against a SQL table will not be case sensitive. This includes queries in Enterprise Manager, MS Access, etc. A search for "jde" will find "jde", "JdE", "jDe", etc.

We went the reverse of you - we went from DB2 to SQL. So having to type in the proper case when doing any finds or searches in JDE became second nature when we were on the AS/400. Most of us are still not used to not having to do this now that we are on SQL Server.

As far as DB2 is concerned, I do not know of a way to change this, but I never was that familiar with it either.

But IMNSHO, it is a db issue, not a JDE issue.

So your users are going to have to learn to type their searches with the proper case. This can be a PITA, for example, when doing a function search. "get" will not find "Get", "Get" will not find "GET", etc. even with wildcards.

Dave

OK, SQL cheating the system...

Not quite... as pointed out by soemone else this is DB specific, and it is actually a configuration option when you install SQL Server to choose whether to be insensitive - correction - case-insensitive!

As well, OneWorld does apply case-senisitivity rules of it's own in certain applications - login screen is a prime example - does not allow lower case entries...

merk.

Back