From OneWorld Xe to ERP 8 or 9

vntien

We're on OneWorld Xe and thinking about performing an upgrade.
We'd like to hear your advice whether we should upgrade to ERP 8 or waiting for ERP 9.

Thanks,
OneWorld Xe/ SP 18
Oracle 8.1.7
ES = AIX
DS = Win 2000

vntien,

Last I heard, JDE is supposed to end support of OneWorld XE on Feb. 28, 2005, so we are planning on upgrading next year. There is some valuable new functionality that we've been hearing about in ERP 9, such as Engineering Project Management, that is driving us toward ERP 9. However, even though ERP 9 is supposed to be released at the end of this month, we're going to wait until at least the first update/service pack comes out before we load it. ERP 9 is going to be a major upgrade, and I don't see any value to us in going to ERP 8 now, only to turn around within a year and upgrade to ERP 9; you'll need to weigh your need to upgrade with the cost of doing so and judge accordingly.

And I'm still waiting to hear how Peoplesoft will affect future product paths (e.g. their new roadmap).

One thing to keep in mind - according to a recend JDEdwards webcast the advanced web functionality that is present in SP22 for ERP 8 is NOT available in ERP 9 yet. It was mentioned that you might have to wait until ERP 9 SP 3 to get equivalent web functionality. Specifically the web interactivity features.

DSauve, where did you get the information on end of support for Xe? We are weighing the same questions now and I have been searching every where on the KG for an official Xe support statement.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I am looking at a letter from JDE dated May 29, 2001, which discusses the many benefits of OneWorld XE. It states "...Because of its advanced, future-ready functionality, we have extended the support of OneWorld XE to February 28, 2005!..." This is on JDE letterhead, and is signed by Idella Kercher, Vice President of Customer Advocacy. That's the last notice I have on record of any support deadlines for OneWorld XE.

What about co-existance? Is it supported in ERP 8 or 9? I thought it was only supported in XE.

ERP 8 and 9 do NOT support coexistence.

Regards,

Jim

Hello Don,
Can you give the list of new features of ERP 9 compared to XE, please?

Regards, Alex.

Alex,

I'll try to attach a .zip file which has a .pdf file from a recent JDE Web Seminar about new features in ERP 9 and SCM 9. In the .zip file it's just over 2 MB in size, so be patient!

Sorry, it's not working as an attachment (unless there's some delay). Please send me your e-mail address and I'd be glad to send you a copy of the file.

Back