Citrix Reboots

Bill Dotson

Reputable Poster
One of the hotly debated issues here is whether we should need to reboot our Citrix servers every night. We've been told that unless we reboot them that often, we will have more frequent Blue Screens of Death due to JDE memory leaks. Currently when we try to reboot them every night, we will have failures from the reboot attempt which depending on how they fail causes havoc with users trying to get on in the morning.
How often does every else reboot your Citrix servers and any other comments on this would be greatly appreciated?

Bilby:
We reboot our Citrix Servers once a week, every friday. Maintenance Purpose. We have run several months without reboot without any major issues.
Rebboting once a week is not a bad idea.

BTW: We are using Win2K with Citrix 1.8 and XPa. If you are using WinNT 4.0, rebooting every day will be a very nice option.

Jorge

I would reboot your servers as often as performance degradation dictates and
business usage allows. That is only a temporary fix, though. You need to
determine the root cause of the malaise. Solve that problem, and the
reboots become less frequent and less necessary.

We went from multiple reboots a week (NT 4.0TSE / JDE B7331 / SP whatever /
Metaframe 1.8) to one reboot a month because we want to, not because the box
makes us (W2K / B7331 / SP 7.1_User3 / Metaframe XP).

Find someone else with a similar config and better up-time. What is their
setup? Comparing apples to apples may help you in this case. Oranges may
not provide any benefit. My evironment is an orange to you in this
particular case.

Buena Suerte,
Tony

Bilby,

We reboot whenever we deploy a package. In our case that is 3 times a week in PY/DV and 2 times a week in PD. It makes sense to us to reboot whenever we deploy since we need to kick the users off anyway.

Just our take on the situation.

Tom Davidson

Bill,
I find that a re-boot every 1 to 2 weeks works well to clean up the memory on our Citrix boxes.
Regards,
Dave

Our farm reboots nightly but not because it has too. I find it keeps performance and scheduled uptime much better that way. A Citrix server is actually a Windows desktop (times the number of users you load it with). It is not doing a traditional server role (file/print/.db serving). It is for the most part running poorly written, memory leaking Windows apps. Oneworld certainly qualifies in this category Would you run your Windows desktop PC for a month without a reboot? I doubt it.
A source of many problems on this platform is using non-certified print drivers on the server. Also you don't mention what service packs. I would run Win 2K SP3/Citrix FR2/SP2 if you aren't already. Also any client software (Oracle, Client Access, SQL Server) needed to access Oneworld should be patched to the latest fixes .
Crashes are certainly avoidable and not normal.

Back