Data Compression on the Web

Wes_D

Well Known Member
Hi List,

We are in the prcoess of evaluation a few data compression softwares. What kind of tool do you recomand for testing it? We would like to know what the average time is per transaction with and with out the data compression.

Wes
XE Update 4, SP21, W2000 Web Server

J.D. Edwards themselves use "Boostweb" - there are several references to it on the Knowledge Garden - the company, Boostworks, is a JD Edwards partner.

Best to try http://www.boostworks.com

I think theres a performance benchmark with and without boostweb on the knowledge garden somewhere - it might be relatively old, since the department that performed the benchmark is now long gone....

Hi,

As we experienced big performance issues, due to the too small network we had between our french plant (where are the jde servers) and our uk plant, we had looked for information about html compression software/device.

We had contact with Boostwork company about Boostweb (software) and BoostEdge (appliance). As said in this post, you can find some informations about Boostwork and OneWorld Xe html. I think i have them if you want.

But at the end, we choosed another device from another company : Packeteer, and we bought his product AppCelera icx 50. It was only a question of money (BoostEdge is very more expansive, but it can compress other flow than html).
Appcelera (but i'm sure it's the same for Boostedge) is very easy to use : 10 minutes to set it up and we are very pleased with it. Our end-users definitely see the difference !
But i must say that we didn't benchmarked the gain (not enough to do it !).

Antoine.

We're using a Boostedge appliance. No brainer to install, give you some nice statistics. Our webserver is still preproduction so it's hard to get a good number for you on the compression.

We have Boostedge and it works, however we have also been testing HTTP 2.0 (Free Compression) it is not yet supported by JDE supposed to be soon. It works equal to Boostworks it adds a little bit of load to the Webserver. The recovery if any issues are encountered is stop the HTTP 2.0 service and start HTTP 1.3. Simple, cheap and effective.

Hi List,

I have had conversations with sites that claim they had very poor
performance from IBM HTTP Server (and much better with IIS) on an Intel
JAS server.

Presumably the HTTP 2.0 is a newer release of IBM HTTP Server ?

Andy Smith
Whitehouse Consultants
Win2K SQLServer7 Xe

Back