Journalling on the AS/400 - Performance Issues

HampMcCool

Do many of you out there experience performance slowness on applications like the A/P Invoice Entry?

This is touching primarily the F04xxx and F09xxx files, which are journalled on a standard install.

Does anyone have experience either:
(1) Improving the journalling performance, and therefore the OneWorld App, or,
(2) Turning off journalling - and the related risk of data integrity problems

All comments are appreciated!

Hamp McCool
CD Group Technical Consultant

B7334, SP 19.1
9406-820
720 GB disk, 67% used
1.5 GB memory
external intel Deployment Serve

Hamp,

I don't believe you can turn journaling off. If OW finds the files not journaled, then it automaticall starts journaling. Also, I belive it is required because of committment control.

We don't have any problems here. If you are convinced it is journaling that is the culprint, there are docs at www.as400.ibm.com explaining how to improve performance using ASP's.

Many of the R09* & F04* programs are not really written by JDE for good performance.

Just my opinion.

Tom Davidson

Most performance problems are caused at the front end - querying the data, vs. the back end - journaling. Run the DBMON while people in AP are adding vouchers and see which indices need to be built.

And if you're a heavy journaler, you should look at putting your journal
recievers in their own ASP.

--------------------------

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Jean_Driscoll wrote:

Most performance problems are caused at the front end - querying the
data, vs. the back end - journaling. Run the DBMON while people in AP are adding vouchers and see which indices need to be built.
Jean Driscoll
AS/400(V5R2) Co-existent Xe SP22, Update 7/A73Cum12
WWW.JDETips.com
--------------------------

A problem we had early on was the frequency of the journal receiver being generated. This tended to freeze things up. I set the journal receiver threshold to 1.5gb so that it would not switch out so often. This helped.

Back