How many users on WTS

SULLY1

VIP Member
Currently all of our users are running OW via fat client. We are working on sending some people home to work. Our plan is to use Window's Terminal Server. How many users can run off of one terminal server? Please no Citrix lectures.

Patty

We currently have two Citrix servers, each with 2GB RAM and Dual P-III
800Mhz Processors. Have about 15-20 users on the Farm now, but we can take
down one server and put all of them on the other with no noticable slowdown.
I think we might start having problems if we went much over 20-25 users on
one machine with the above specs. RAM is much more critical than
processors...load it up with the best and fastest RAM you can afford and you
will be able to handle a reasonable number of users. Skimp here, and you're
DOA.

B7332, SP17.1_E1, MSSQL 7.0, NT 4.0
Citrix on Win2K

Patty

OneWorld B7332 SP17.1_H1
NT4/SQL7

What will your users be doing? Are you planning on using the WPD and WPY enviornments? Or will you have your users split between PD and WPD? Once you respond with this information, then I can better tell you what our experience has been.

Sully, there are several GAATS case studies that deal with Windows Terminal Server, Memory Utilization, and WAN utilization with OneWorld. They are good reading and directly relevant to your question. I can't give you real world numbers as I use Citrix and I am getting the impression you are not considering using that.

I did a quick search on the new KG and they are pulling up.

Best of luck!

Ryan Hunt

Sully,
going thru gats i found that recommended ram per user would be around 100MB with dual processor.
list, any comments for the above statment

bye
sathya

I have found that at about 30-35 XE users it doesn't matter what kind of server you have it just won't do more. This due to the way Windows handles Virtual Memory I am told.
If you run into this limitation and don't want to buy another Citrix server. Try Tscale it increases user capacity by 30-35% in my experience..
http://www.rtosoft.com/

-Matt

Joy

The first group to go home will be payables clerks. I don't plan to use a WPD environment, just PD. I'm working on getting the ram/processor info.

Thanks to all who responded.

Patty

Back