Upgrade to Oracle 9.2 From 8.1.6

sanps

We are running OneWorld Xe b7333 SP21 on Windows NT and oracle 8.1.6. Can we upgrade to Oracle 9.2? In such any problem that we have to take care of?
what SP is it running on? Any Issues
Does anyone know of any set running OneWorld XE on Oracle 9.2.? After upgrading to Oracle 9.2 we are planning to install Oneworld XE Update 7.

Sandeep Shejwalkar
OneWorld XE B7333
SP 21
Oracle 8.1.6
Windows NT 4.0

Sandeep,
I am advised that the Oracle upgrade has to be in two steps; 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 then 8.1.7 to 9.
I don't believe one-step is possible unless anyone else out there knows better.

"One-step" upgrades (upgrading from an old version to the the current version by-passing several versions in the process) has always been supported by Oracle. Better check your source Skipper.

Correction and expansion of my last post.
Certainly it is possible to upgrade directly from 8.1.6 to 9i.
However if you want the aid of Oracle's Database Upgrade Assistant (a wizard basically) then you should first apply 8.1.7 as stated by Skipper.

My apologies Skipper.

Hi Sandeep
I agree with Skipper that it is 2 step process to upgrade from 8.1.6 to 9.2 if you choose manual upgrade. But there are 2 combinations that you can follow. You can either upgrade from 8.1.6 to 9.0.1 and then 9.0.1 to 9.2 OR 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 and then 8.1.7 to 9.2.
You can also choose export/import method for upgrade if your database is small( In this case it will one step But it always take a lot of time to import the whole database ).

Good luck

Sandeep,
Your previous replies have you pretty covered from the Database side - here are a couple of OneWorld things you will need to know:

1) 9i is supported but 9.2 is not. We are running 9.2 and have been for 6 months with no issues at all regarding database 2 OneWorld interaction.
2) You will want to change the database .dll's from JDBOCI80.dll to JDBOCI90.DLL. If you are on SP21 you will have these in your system/bin32.
3) If you are using Citrix, when you install the 9I client it automatically locks down (with NT security) the home part of the install i.e. x:\Oracle\ORA92. You will need to go in here and change the permissions or people on Citrix will not be able to access the subdirectories and will therefore not work.

Hope this helps.

Point (1) about 9.2 not being supported is incorrect.
There is a document on KG entitled
"OneWorld Xe (B73.3.3) Minimum Technical Requirements Database Software"
This shows that 9.2.0.1 (9i release 2) IS supported.
It is also worth noting the following quote from that document:
Effective December 31, 2003, J.D. Edwards will no longer support Oracle 8.1.7.x or 9.0.1.x

But note that now - as of 17 Oct 2003 Tech Flash on Knowledge Garden Pracle 8.1.7 support extended until December 2004. JDE/PS state that this follows the extension of support for the same by Oracle.

Note, however, that Oracle's extension is not the same on all platforms.

Anyway, we might just leave that upgrade for a while now.

Patrick is correct, however the information on KG is ambiguous. I sought clarification and the following minimum combinations are supported in Xe:
Oracle 9.0.1.4/SP19.1 or above
Oracle 9.2/ SP21_B1
Oracle 9.2.0.1/SP22

Back