HTML Pefromance Issue

Wes_D

Well Known Member
Hi List,

We are running XE SP21 on the AS/400 5.2 with two W2000 web servers (two way processor with 2 gig memory running Websphere 3.5). We are using only the CRM part of XE. The max concurrent users is about 50 on a WAN. Some branch have ADSL access (210K - 500K), others only have 50K connection.

The users at the head office have good performance (doesn't compare to green screen :(.

However, for the branch users, the system performance is at a point where some users have refused to use the software. For some of them, it's taking about 5 min to do a find or to go to a different form.

Just recently, we installed BoostWorks for data compression with no significant improvement. Is there anything you can suggest that can improve our predicament?

Thanks
Wes

XE Update 4, SP21
AS/400 V5R2
W2000 Web Server with WebSphere 3.5.6

We have installed CRM 2.0 in Prototype on a system similar to what you describe and are experiencing great performance although we only have a handful of users we have touching it.

The first thing that I would verify is that logging and debugging is turned off or set to Error in your start/yourelate.properties and fwstart/yourelate.properties files.

The next thing I would check would be WAN utilization. Is the WAN saturated? A user downloading large emails or printing across the WAN can cause major performance problems.
If so, you might want to look at the queuing feature of a Cisco router (I understand this feature can get hairy to implement) or even a system from Packeteer.

If you have Citrix, a solution could be to publish IE and CRM as seemless application from the Citrix server.

Hey Jeremy

I think thats the first time someone has suggested publishing IE as a citrix application to counter WAN issues ! I think someone at JDE is probably turning in their grave !!!!

But you are right as usual - it is a pity people don't realize the amount of PEAK traffic the web client generates vs the citrix client.

However, for this user - I would severely investigate your WAN connection - after all, I can operate OneWorld just fine over my cellphone modem, which has terrible latency.

Hi Wes,

I would focus the attention on the WAN side of the equation. 50K Wan from a remote office? Seems like a pretty small pipe. Especially if other stuff is running over the pipe.

There is also a very sophisticated Boostworks solution for you to look at. If you purchase the Boostworks Edgeserver, you can route all of your traffic through it to another smaller boostworks server at the remote end. This will compress everything and give you the opportunity to prioritize packets. You can give OW HTML packets a higher priority than the streaming audio radio station some guy is listening to on his computer.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair CNC and Security Guy
XE, Update 6, SP21, Websphere 4, XPIE 4.7

Back