Print button does nothing for OLE media objects

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
If I attach an OLE media object (either Word or Excel), and then try to print it using the Print icon, it does nothing. The only work-around I've found thus far is to right-click on the media object icon (in the left pane), and select the Print... option from there.

I'm almost certain that this functionality used to work when we were on SP15.1, and suspect it was lost when we upgraded to SP20_E1.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and/or found a real solution?

Hi,

Yes, we are using SP 17 and are facing the same problem. We too are using the same work around that you have mentioned. However, this work around does not work for scanned images (jpeg..etc) that have been attached through OLE.

Any answers???

IHFS,

I ended up logging a call with JDE support about this issue, and was told that this behavior is due to how Microsoft handles embedded OLE objects -- that you'd see the same type of behavior if a Word or Excel document was embedded in, say, a web page. According to the support rep, these "... programs (e.g Word or Excel) make the assumption that when they are embedded in this manner the container (e.g. OneWorld) is responsible for printing support implementation."

So it didn't appear to be a SP-related issue after all, and the printing method we're using is the only one available.

Sorry to hear you can't print your scanned images. Have you tried attaching the scanned images as a File/URL attachment instead of as an OLE object? I wonder if there's an issue with the scanned image viewer you're using.

Back