Scheduler and PrintImmediate - Workarounds?

Robert Robinson

Robert Robinson

Reputable Poster
I am using Scheduler to schedule jobs. I also received the bad news: PrintImmediate does not work in Scheduler (or will not work until ERP 9).

Has anyone developed a workaround that will allow Scheduled reports to print when processed?

Hi RRobinson!
This is not quite the whole truth - I have been having the same conversation with a client (and there is a thread on this).
If the INI file is set to print immed the this should work....Unfortunately most sites have this set to a "N" due to the large volume of "junk" that comes out.....

The way around this is to assign the "junk" to an outq that doesnt get assigned to a physical printer...... Using printer overrides.

Do the same for the scheduled jobs - assign them to a profile whose printer overrides are set to a live printer.

I am not on a site where I can dig further into this - but a collegue who was at a site (Xe - U6 - SP18 I think) where I set this up stated - it works fine!
He actually said its the INI attached to the profile the jobs run under that gives print immed y/n .....but thats getting a little too techy for me !

The flips side - even if it really doesnt work (!) - is that how many reports do you want really to print immediately - from experience most of it tends to be invoices (are you using a print formatting tool ? this has a bearing as they copy the PDF....), posting reports (generally just looked at and thrown) or some other general reports (held orders etc), most of these should be call off - unless you really want to have a LARGE paper bill !

When you take a close look at this there are very few reports that should REALLY print off for the morning......

I hope this helps and adds a degree of perspective

Hi,
I have tested printing from a scheduled job and it works. This is what
you need to do:
1) Create a scheduler version in OMW and configure this version with a
valid JDE system printer in Printer Setup in Tool/Report Design
2) Check in this version and do the necessary package build and deploy
to server
3) Change your server JDE.INI parameter PrintImmediate=TRUE
4) Setup job in scheduler and your report will print

Changing JDE.INI PrintImmediate activates this change on the fly. I
hope this helps.
Rgds, Gopal.

I am using Scheduler to schedule jobs. I also received the bad news:
PrintImmediate does not work in Scheduler (or will not work until ERP
9).

Has anyone developed a workaround that will allow Scheduled reports to
print when processed?
RRobinson CPA/CITP,CNE
OW Xe, SP21_G1, AS/400 V5 R1, Windows TSE
Big Ten JD Edwards Users Group
Plymouth, Michigan, USA
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=58679

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World« / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards«

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

NOTICE: Please note that this e-Mail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard Smiths e-Mail disclaimer which may be found at:
http://www.smiths.co.za/disclaimer.htm

If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached and you wish to receive a copy thereof please send an e-Mail to [email protected]

Not sure if I am saying the same thing a Peter. We use Printer Defaults. Everything is set to *QPRINT. Then each user or report or evern a specific version has a "real" printer as the default.

We do not use Scheduler. We use ROBOT and RUNUBE coded into CL to run our scheduled jobs.

Hi Gopal,
not sure if you needed to hardcode a printer....
The setup I did (and confirmed - visavis previous posting) used standard printer overrides BUT specific user/env/program/version - I did not use the generic *all/*all
I set the job to run under SALES/FINANCE etc and attached the overrides to then e.g. SALES/R42565/ZJDE0001 - PRINT02

I hoe this helps to clarify things a bit more.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Tgore,

Was wondering if you run Distribution in One World? Would like to know that if you are running Distribution , then are you running P42800 (Sales Update Program) in World? Does this mean that you are co-existant then? Are you facing any problems running P42800 in World?

Sri

We are only a very small custom written system in One World. Yes, we are co-ex. I don't know a lot about what is run (and when) in World, but I am not aware of any problems with running anything in World because of co-ex.

I have a tool for that too. You can e-mail me for more details...

Regards,
Alex.

After being told that this could not be done I tried it anyway.

I set PrintImmediate to TRUE in Server JDE.INI. Then setup a dummy printer for the default queue and pointed the scheduled jobs to a different queue and a real printer.

This worked fine.

Cheers
good luck

There is also another workaround in SAR 5774890, in case you are interested.

It uses a version override of the Job Scheduler application to point to a
specific printer.

Back