Change JDE.INI for "everybody"

tgore

tgore

Reputable Poster
Change JDE.INI for \"everybody\"

I need to make a change to the JDE.INI file and I want this change sent out to all users, FAT & THIN (CITRIX). What is the best way to go about getting this accomplished?

Re: Change JDE.INI for \"everybody\"

I would typically use a VB Script or Kixtart based logon script.

The easiest way is to build an updated mandatory package, which includes JDE. INI.

Alex.

I believe you can build a feature package and push out your jde.ini.

What do you include in the feature package? When I selected my features the only thing that displayed was "JDE Mobile".

the JDE.INI that gets delivered with a Client Install is located on your deployment server. Look for the directory b7333\OneWorld Client Install\Misc

If you change this JDE.INI, then all clients will get the JDE.INI on their next client install.

Give it a try...

I know about that JDE.INI. I also know that any *new* installs will get it. How do I deliver it to all of the existing clients (FAT & THIN)? Where is the "Replace JDE.INI" box that I everybody keeps referring to? Can it only be accessed when you select the "director" option on the build?

Re: Change JDE.INI for

If you go to your package_inf directory on your deployment server, you will find the .infs for any package that you have built. Open the .inf for the package you want to deploy and change the "ReplaceINI" key to "Y".

Note also that right above that key, you can set the DeleteGlblTable specs to a "Y". Setting this option can help if you need to deploy table changes...

Have fun.

Heres what I have done in the past.

For the fat clients have a mandatory update package that has the replace INI check box checked. Or go and do it yourself, Everyone only has like Two fat clients right?!? :)

For the Thin clients, Replace the ini file in c:\winnt. Just delete all the jde.ini files except for the c:\winnt one. I have deleted ini files while the user is logged in, it just copies it again when it needs it. Or if you have a roaming profiles server it makes it a lot easier, when everyone is logged out just delete all the JDE.ini files on the roaming profiles server.

Re: Change JDE.INI for

Replace JDE.INI option is found in Build Specification screen in the Define Build stage. You can assemble and build a client update package without any objects but having only this option ticked. But as a practice, I always have at least one object included. Regarding thin client, I don't think you have to manually delete jde.ini files from the users. When you deploy it on the thin client, it will replace the jde.ini file in WINNT. When users sign-on next time, it will automatically get the new jde.ini file from the WINNT.

Depending on the type of change you need to make and where your INI files are located...

I use Windows "Find" to locate all JDE.INI files on a certain machine, then drag them all into NoteTab Light [free text editor at www.notetab.com], choose Search from the menu and perform a Replace command on "all documents" that are loaded. This is the best way I have found, because it does not overwrite customizations we've already made to individuals' INI.

There are other programs, like HomeSite by Allaire/Macromedia, that will do global search/replace.

Please let me know if that helps!

-Tim

I need a little more help on this. Everything worked great for our FAT clients, but the JDE.INI did not get "pushed out" to CITRIX. I went to our CITRIX servers and manually changed the JDE.INI, but then the users JDE.INI on their "network" drive did not get updated.

Right now it is not too big a problem to delete everybody's JDE.INI file, but as more & more locations come up on their own servers, it will get to be harder & harder to find all of the JDE.INI files.

Back