Integerated Netfinity Server

sathya

Hi,
If i am using Integerated Netfinity Server as Deployment Server do i still require to install Client Access Express??

thanks in advance

Yes and no. You don't need any of the billable functions but for admin purposes I would add 2 licenses:

OneWorld - Client Access Express product 5722-XE1
The V5R2M0 version of Client Access Express has a new name:
iSeries Access for Windows
Client Access Express is required for OneWorld's clients and
servers. J.D. Edwards no longer supports Client Access (V4R4
and older) because Client Access Express is the only Client
Access product supported on multi-processor systems and
multi-threading applications.
OneWorld does not require any of the billable functions of
Client Access Express. These billable functions like 5250
emulation, printer emulation, and Client Access file transfer
are strictly optional for OneWorld installations but they do
require a full Client Access Family for Windows license
(5722-XW1) if you want to use them.

http://www-919.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/developer/solutionservers/jde/links.html

Yes you will have to install it, just as if you were installing it on a stand alone server.

But the above is correct, you dont' need any of the functions that a cost is assoicated to it. But it is nice to have a console session from your deployment server.

Glad to see someone using the INS cards, I am a big fan we have about 20 or so here. But in my opinion the hardware for the deployment server needs to be a bit faster then what an INS could provide. But this was a year and a couple months ago. Anyone know what they are up to now for speed? Disk limitations?

Nick

Gawd

I hate the INS card - its such a ludicrous idea to encourage users to spend more money on DASD.

I have seen issues where the Windows OS on the INS card has been able to "lock up" areas on the OS/400 side - something that wouldn't happen with a seperate machine at a fraction of the cost.

I know many 400'ers love the INS card - but remember, the costs involved are substantially higher than a relatively faster Netfinity server.

As I tell all my customers - if you really want an "integrated" card - then get some black duct tape and a Netfinity Rackmount.....and put the rest of the cash into a couple hundred gig of SCSI.

We have never seen any issues with servers locking up. And we have been running them for almost 4 years. We still run our file servers at 300Mhz INS cards, they run great. Faster hardware isn't too great if it is down every month for some sort or hardware replacement.

The cost is higher then a stand alone server. You are correct, there are benifits as well:
The managment of INS cards is much better. Also putting them on a server that has 99%+ uptime makes it a realiable system to run them. Also if you have a "hot" swap card it is very easy in case of a hardware failure (which we have never seen on 20 in 4 years) you can have the server up on a new piece of hardware in less then 10 minutes. The foot print is smaller. Disk is always protected, and the number of AS/400 disk drives to fail in comparison to our 60+ standalone servers doesn't compare. Being able to reboot a server from a 5250 screen makes it easy to reboot Windows operating systems.

Also now with rack mounted servers to make small foot print, and some managment tools to manage them you will spend a lot of money on that setup as well. If you are going to buy one server INS is a bad idea, multiple servers they are worth giving a look at. The numbers are not that out of wack for what your getting.

Your right they are more expensive for the hardware, upgrades, disk, etc. So in a lot of cases (such as a deployment server) they don't' make a lot of sense, but in a file print server or small application servers they make a good fit.

My two cents

Nick

Jon...

Absolutely, the INS card, unless you've already purchased it, or given it
free, is a huge waste of moolah!

Jim

Back